Vietnam Airways question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by PAinNY, Jan 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    I know this is a newbie forum but I have a question since I am a newbie to Vietnam Air. I was afraid to post in the Other Airlines/Asia thread as it looks as it would get lost.

Here's my question: On 9/16 I need to get from Shanghai to Hanoi - the only direct flight I can find is with Vietnam Airlines. I am wondering if it is too early to book or even if I can book on Vietnam Airlines with a US credit card. My other concern is that since there is only one flight a day - well - how reliable is Vietnam Airlines? I went to their official site which I believe is http://www.vietnamairlines.com/wps/portal/en/site/home and they have a super saver fare available....but still wondering. There is so little info online regarding purchasing tickets with Vietnam Airlines. I would be happy to go through an agent if that's what you feel I should do..any advise appreciated.. A happy and healthly New Year to everyone

Thank you
    Pat

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    We flew them 7 years ago and they were fine. We bought in-country rather than online but I'd have no concern in that regard other than that you might be over-paying. Look at Ctrip.com or other China-specific OTAs before committing to a purchase.

PAinNY likes this.
  3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for a little reassurance. I've been checking Ctrip and they are not cheaper which is surprising. I am checking for the next couple of months not Sept just to get an idea of the prices. The Vietnam Airways webiste super saver fare is actually cheaper than Ctrip.

4. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now Ctrip is making a liar out of me:) I just checked again and went 4 months out and it's actually 170 cyn cheaper than Vietnam Air for the same flight. Maybe I will take a chance and keep checking Ctrip - thanks again

5. dannyjacob

dannyjacob Member

Status Points:
    Vietnam Airlines is the biggest brand inside Vietnam and its quality is fine and professional. However, if you find Ctrip better, both on price and quality, you should go with it.

PAinNY likes this.
  6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We flew them DAD-HAN and HAN-LPQ and had no issues. They did have delays on an arriving flight from CDG which we were held for a short time because it was the last flight to LPQ, but it was not a long delay.

They were not my favorite 3rd World Flag Carrier in my trip, but there was nothing wrong with our flights at all.

PAinNY likes this.