Video shows TSA's bizarre new security policy

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/259714.html

A video clip shot Sunday at Columbus Ohio Airport illustrates how the Transportation Security Administration has dreamed up a bizarre new way to waste time and taxpayer dollars - by testing drinks purchased by travelers for explosives inside the airport long after they have already passed security.

The footage shows TSA agents walking around a departure lounge asking to test passengers' drinks for explosive residue with a swab they hold over the liquid.

"Now remember that this is inside the terminal, well beyond the security check and purchased inside the terminal ... just people waiting to get on the plane," writes the You Tube user who uploaded the video.

As we have previously highlighted, the drinks policy was recently introduced with virtually no explanation from the TSA whatsoever. The much vaunted 2006 liquid bomb plot on which this nonsense is all based completely collapsed in court and was revealed tobe farcical at best

Read More: http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/259714.html

Gargoyle, MLW20, MX and 2 others like this.
  2. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, what on earth are they doing?
    If they wanna test everyones' drinks, why not lift the absolutely non-sense liquid ban and test everyone's liquid. At least I don't have to pay over-priced water inside security.

Maybe they should ban duty free purchase too - high alcohol content drinks are highly flamable.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the TSA train its agents in sign language and various foreign languages? Because I might just be unable to understand or speak English in those departure lounges.

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that these drinks are purchased from vendors inside the security zone, wouldn't it be simpler to test them at source, i.e., at the vendors? Of course, that would be if there were any threat at all from passengers' drinks. What's next? Testing pax urine?

Truly, this security theatre has gone way too far. It has long since entered the realm of unconscious self-parody. :eek:

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen liquids going to vendors actually going through tsa screening at the usual checkpoints - so THEY DON'T TRUST THEIR OWN SCREENING.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally, I would be willing give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're field-testing a machine, but they have been doing this for years.

This ineptitude is one of the reasons I refuse to purchase anything airside since the war on liquids started in 2006.

7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ridiculous waste of time. If no liquids are allowed beyond the security screening wouldn't the TSA figure any drink was bought from a vendor.
    This reminds me of when we were coming home from Colombia and had a little money left over. We bought a jar of dulce de leche from a vendor right by the gate. When we tried to bring it through the last security screening they said it wasn't allowed. After some explaining we had to go get the vendor or something to that extent before being allowed through with the very dangerous and sweet dulce de leche!

anabolism likes this.
  8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying out of MSY this weekend, and there were TSA screeners at the gate checking BPs against IDs. This, of course, after having to get by a TSA screener who checks your ID against your BP before you can get through security. "Added security" supposed to make me feel better, I'm sure -- in reality, it seemed as though they were just pointing out how stupid they are.

9. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess they have to figure out some way to spend the millions they collect in fees. At least they're not monitoring stools ... (oops!!! :oops: scratch that.... they may be watching this thread)

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  10. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back when they were, for awhile after 9/11, checking ID & BP at multiple places including the gate, I managed to inadvertently board an Airtran flight with the wrong BP (same last name, different first) at MCO. Our gov't travel office still had to issue paper tickets for Airtran for some reason. So I walked up to the ticket counter with my ticket and ID, the agent issued my BP and I went off without even looking at the BP. They checked my ID and BP at the start of the security line; checked again after going through the WTMD; and again by the GA while boarding. Only after an awkward encounter at my seat was the error discovered. The man whose BP I had in hand, was also issued his (correct) BP and boarded.

So 3 ID/BP checks and no one caught it. (Admittedly the gate check was the airline not TSA, but still). Actually the boarding encounter with the other passenger was quite funny. There I was a young white guy and he was an African-American senior citizen. We quickly figured out what happened but the flummoxed FA just stared at us and the BPs for a minute and asked "So you two aren't together?" The other guy quipped "Yeah, we're brothers can't you tell?" Fortunately I was able to get a seat, since from the perspective of their computer I had never checked in.

Anyway sad to hear of more security theater, especially at CMH where I frequently fly out of.

anabolism and TheBeerHunter like this.
  11. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Taking out the ID along with the ticket really isn't a big deal (at least to me). TSA agents walking around testing liquid for explosives inside the "sterile" area of the airport is absolutely over the top, IMO. If liquids, in that quantity, are in the area...they should have come in through legitimate means at that point. I don't want anyone (gloves or not) opening or touching the bottle of water I paid $8 for at some overpriced post-security store. That's just ridiculous.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "liquids" I drink in the sterile area are often comsumed quickly, given they're those half-assed drinks poured in the UAClub bar. Haven't seen any screeners in there though :)

chrislacey likes this.
  13. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just saw a piece on my local news about this, using the same video. Apparently, the TSA talking heads justified it by talking about layers and mentioning the liquid bomb plot. The example given is that a TSA employee could smuggle explosives into the secure area and pass it to a cleared passenger. Which, if that's the loophole, they have bigger problems than passengers' drinks.

14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you show the BP to the agent at the beginning of the queue, then you show it to the agent at the end of the queue, who doesn't trust the agent at the beginning. The queue itself is guaranteed by the anti-terrorist tape. ("Arrrrgh! Not the green tape! Foiled again!")

FWIW urine is sterile.

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should go through U.S.-bound flight "security" screening in Vancouver.
    1. Show your BP to the gatekeeper of the screening area, scan the BP.
    2. Show your BP to the person who is standing 15 feet away (might be 10 feet, really), scan again.
    3. Show your BP to the person at the mouth of the x-ray, scan again.
    4. Show your BP to the person on the other side of the WTMD.

All four of these BP scan checks are done within about 150 feet of each other.

It would be funny were it not so sad.

maradori and YULtide like this.
  16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once I went through the International to Domestic transfer security at YYZ with Mrs YULtide and the queue was completely empty except for us. The guy at the beginning looked at our BPs while the guy at the end of the queue watched. Then the guy at the end of the queue asked for our BPs. I leaned over to Mrs YULtide and said, "he doesn't trust the guy at the beginning." No reaction from the agent.

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    So much of what the TSA does is pointless. Stop the insane focus on shoes and liquids. Lines would move much faster, threat level would remain the same.

YULtide likes this.
  18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happens if one will refuse his/her drink being tested? I would not want my drink being tested and probably would not be drinking it if they would test it. Who know where they got those "sterile strips" and with what kind of chemicals they were treated.

ACMM likes this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point! Will the TSA refund my purchase price of said drink if they 'touch' it?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  20. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not, but you might be able to file a tax deduction :)

ACMM likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meh! I'm in Canada ;) Can I get a don't touch my soft drink junk credit? :D

22. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you will have to pay double :p

ACMM likes this.
  23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not at the current exchange rate :p

TAHKUCT likes this.
  24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article said they just hold the strip above the drink, presumably to collect vapor.

25. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anything the threat level would go down, since they could focus on things that mattered. Granted, I think the threat level is so close to zero that it is mathematically equivalent to nil, but that's a discussion for another time...

As for the OP, I really wish just one person would tell the truth: "Well, we were so overstaffed that we had to do something with these guys. If we admitted that our staffing levels were too high, our budgets would be cut next year."

Mike