Video Ads on BoardingArea.com blogs

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by iolaire, Nov 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So today Video Ads have shown up on Heals First and One Mile at a Time, set to auto play with audio after some short time. Quite annoying, and probably not something that the individual bloggers are responsible for, but the network owner @Randy could prevent.

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually you are incorrect. Each blogger decides if they want to present this sort of advertising on their individual blogs. Some will, some won't. Also, as I understand it, the ads are quite common among many websites, not just BoardingArea since they represent a new trend among advertisers and they are suppose to be auto play, user initiated meaning that you will see the video but not hear the audio unless the ad is clicked on. Granted as with any technology (and these are not served by BoardingArea, but rather the world's largest ad network Doubleclick/Google) there are likely some to many examples where the technology doesn't quite work as presented as I've seen errors on similar ads when visiting other websites.

Also, I'm not sure the relevance of this for Milepoint, seems to be BoardingArea and from what i know there are none of these ads on Milepoint ... as I don't want them here.

gaijin62 and iolaire like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, sorry about that, since it showed up on two sites I assumed its global on the hosting side. I'll complain directly on the blogs.

RE: MilePoint versus Boarding Area in my eyes the organizations are linked and operated by the same people, and this side has a feedback mechanism...

(Also if I could find someone to complain to at the Washington Post I'd make the same complaint... And also mention the ads that zoom out to cover the screen. I know people make money from them, but they are very irritating to the readers.)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also found this to be an issue. Blogs with videos can often "hang up" for a while, especially in Chrome.

A bit of an odd comment as I would think anything travel related would be relevant to MP, but, in any case, I searched for this very thing and was glad you posted about it iolaire.

iolaire likes this.
  5. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    Edit: I didn't realize this was in the "support" forum when I first commented, so Randy's comment makes more sense.

6. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Advertisements on another website have nothing to do with travel, but I realize why @iolaire mentioned it here. The best place for this kind of thing is http://boardingarea.com/contact/

While it is true the staff for both work at the same location, not everyone does the same things for each site and the correct person might not look here for this.

iolaire likes this.
  7. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ads may not be travel related, but the functionality of a "travel related site" is still "travel" to me. Semantics ;)
    No worries, I hardly visit BA anymore (or sadly MP for that matter)