Victor (Miami Beach) - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We stayed here last month (over MLK weekend) on our annual trip to Miami (as well as the 4th stay at this property).

In some ways, this was our best stay - certainly with the best room assignment - we were pre-blocked into one of the "Bungalow Kings" which have direct access to the pool from the patio. This was in sharp contrast to last year, when we were given a room in the "old building" section of the property because there was group of food service people in house (which created a very different vibe to the property).

Rooms here (with the possible exception of suites) are fairly small with a good chunk of the space given over to the bathroom area. Lighting is pretty dim for those who care [​IMG] And property can be pretty noisy from the "party atmosphere" on Ocean Drive in South Beach. This property is definitely not for children or those seeking quiet relaxation. It is very "adult" oriented - during our stay the couple in the room next to ours - the woman sunbathed topless at the pool and the man wore thong bikinis - not that we've seen such before but this gives you the "flavor" of the hotel.

Within the last year, the property contracted / rented out the restaurant to an independent operator. The Diamond breakfast is now limited to the "American Breakfast" with eggs, bacon / sausage / ham, juice, coffee / tea, pastries. Service is really haphazard and poor (although much can be said about the entire South Beach area - especially since tips are usually added automatically on checks).

Valet parking is $32 per night but there is a parking lot right behind that charges $25 a night with in / out privileges that used to be the contract for the property. That apparently has changed.

I believe that this property is having financial difficulties and there was a period last year when it was rumored that it was leaving the Hyatt family to be an independent.

2. peter42
    Original Member

peter42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Topless bathing is normal for beach hotels in many parts of the world and it is tolerated AFAIR on parts of South Beach.

Anyhow do they charge the resort fee on reservations, which were made before the fee was publised?

3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm really not sure if they'll charge the resort fee on reservations that were made prior to the announcement since I was on an award stay which is exempt from any resort fee anyways - no mention was made of it.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Resort fees at a hotel like this are ridiculous. I cancelled my reservation here for this week and moved to another hotel- it is not the $20 that bothers me so much- but if this is mandatory put it in the room rate- as it is seems to be a borderline deceptive business practice.

5. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    What does the resort fee include? $20 really?

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Effective 01DEC10 the hotel will charge a $20 per room, per night resort fee which includes Wireless Internet access, Daily newspaper, Botteld water, - Access to steam room and gym, Beach chairs, Beach towels, Faxes/Copies and - Local calls

7. peter42
    Original Member

peter42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They waved it after we complained.

The hotel is still way overpriced and self convinced.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fixed this an easier way- cancelled my reservation and stayed at another hotel.