Vibram FiveFingers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kw335, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you think about these Vibram FiveFingers shoes(?)? I've heard great reviews about them but not sure if I'd want to wear it while flying/traveling. I guess I'm not used to being quasi-barefoot in public places. Thoughts?

goodandclassy likes this.
  2. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love them!
    The key is to ease into them (i.e. don't go running three miles the first day you put them on!)

I don't know about traveling (don't think they match my first-class-pants :D) but they make an easy addition to the carryon for when you get wherever you are going...

And you are bound to turn many heads at various airports if you choose to wear them on the road :D

Sean Colahan and kw335 like this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually one of those who wears shorts and/or flip-flops in first class (can't help it!), so they would match just fine. I may just give it a shot!

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know people that wear them and they swear by them... they are supposedly incredibly comfortable, although in colder weather and walking around "urban" settings -- places with subway grates and bad sidewalks -- they could be troublesome.

5. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heh, haven't gotten down to shorts, but jeans and toms absolutely :D
    in my non-rev days... different story.
    Do try them! I should take them for a spin in F too!

you mean like nyc? :D
    you have to watch out for gaps - otherwise friction and feeling of the street, even concrete and uneven asphalt feel aok... :D (in my limited experience)

6. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I make it a point to walk around downtown Charlotte in mine. I walk over grates and bad sidewalks and don't feel a thing!
    The little rumble strips for blind people actually hurt more than gravel.

7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a pair and LOVE THEM. great for travel as well as they pack down small, though PTAs primary footwear, I currently use mine for running and hiking.

8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one that thought that this was a naughty object just by the title itself? :p

9. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got a pair of these Merrells which are a little more discreet, but still the bare concept for general wear. I'm planning on wearing them on tomorrow's MR to see how they do for travel.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly don't see a problem wearing these when traveling.

11. erich

erich Silver Member

Status Points:
    currently on weekend jaunt to asia, vibrams have been my primary footware, though i did bring some dress shoes for first.

next time: vibrams only. take them off in the plane and switch to the slippers. wash in hotel tub overnight if stink accumulates.

12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard they are really comfortable from hikers/ bike riders. However I tried them on a couple of times and find them hard to put on and really irritating between the toes... I opted instead for a pair of Keens which are pretty comfortable.

rharrigill likes this.
  13. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does it really get stinky at the end of the day of wearing it?

14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a pair and love them for running/hiking/kayaking/etc.

But I don't wear them on the plane. If nothing else, they take a little while to put on and that would be a pain after security.

You should take a look at a pair of these guys: http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/dharma-70.html/

If you buy them, I recommend yanking the insoles out and throwing them in the trash. Without those, they're basically the same experience as the five fingers, but in a slightly more discreet package.

Mapsmith likes this.
  15. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love mine, but find I get knee pain if I wear 'em too often...especially if I wear them hiking. Turns out they're more of a novelty, at least for me...and I would NOT wear them traveling, but that's just me.

16. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the FiveFingers. I've worn them for almost two years now, and they are fantastic. I wear them through the TSA checkpoints, and I haven't once had to take them off - so just for that, I say they are fantastic for travel. Really comfortable too.

I wrote an article about life in Vibrams (I wore them to the office, too) and how to get the stink out of them. Hopefully they'll come in handy for you! Again, I can't recommend them enough. They're awesome!

17. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a pair that I wear for working out. I occasionally work up the nerve to wear them for walks around the neighborhood but that's as far as I've ventured in them.
    It never occurred to me that you could wear them through security! Maybe I'll try it next flight. I mostly fly in yoga pants so they wouldn't look very out of place.

Casey Friday likes this.
  18. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although as they become more popular, I would expect that TSA will start requiring them to be removed.

And announced yesterday, they can't be worn with Military Uniforms (even Camo's) because they do not present the proper image.

19. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that might be the case at some point, but until the TSA requires them to be removed, we might as well all enjoy the ride!

Unfortunate for the military folk, if they wanted some extra comfort while traveling.

20. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    VFFs aren't a good idea while travelling in my opinion, as they're not very breathable and hard to wear/remove. They're fabulous for running: I love my KSOs for that.

I have to agree on the VivoBarefoot suggestion. I bought a pair a month ago: they look way better, give my feet the same workout as the VFFs while travelling, and their wider cut makes them much more comfortable for flying.

21. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've traveled using KSO Treks as my primary footwear. I had no significant problems with them. The only time I did was when they got wet, and then you could feel the wetness and you lose traction. They are very compact and squishable, comfortable to wear, and quick drying. Almost ideal as a travel shoe. I went to Victoria Falls with them and they were great. The KSO Treks are made with leather, and do not stink up as much as other Vibrams.