Very Quick Online Survey for Business Travelers About Status Matches

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Lynda, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    gleff likes this.
  2. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did that, but then it said "ERROR: Failed to connect to ad server." Is that the reward, I get to view an ad at the end? :)

zpaul likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Actually it just takes you to a page that shows the results - no ad.

zpaul likes this.
  4. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh well, hope my survey results made it.

zpaul likes this.
  5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does "status match" (for the first 2 questions) include challenges, as well as straight-up matches without a challenge? I'm assuming so, but just clarifying since you have another question specifically about challenges.

zpaul likes this.
  6. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    Status match is straight-up match without a challenge.

zpaul likes this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly enough, my status match was from the same airline that I did a challenge with some years earlier.

In 2002, KLM had a status challenge involving earning sufficient "points" (they weren't into "miles" in those days) and they would not only match your status with another airline, but also match the number of miles you had in that account with "points" in their program. I did it, they matched my United 1K to their equivalent of Platinum ("Royal something") and gave me a batch of points that within a year they had converted into miles in their revised program at a factor of 1.8 new miles per old point. I wound up with nearly 2 million Flying Dutchman miles out of that challenge.

Following the "April Fool deal" (Flying Blue folks know what I'm talking about), I -- and apparently a whole lot of other people -- pretty much quit flying the new AF/KLM, doing an occasional segment just to keep my remaining miles alive. In 2011 Flying Blue (AF/KLM's new program, created as a successor to KLM's Flying Dutchman and Air France's Frequence Plus programs when they merged) offered to match status on essentially any non-SkyTeam program just for sending in a fax of the current card in the program being matched. They matched my LH Senator to Platinum. (Yes, I have elite status in both LH and UA -- long story.)

OK, technically KLM/Flying Dutchman and AF/KLM Flying Blue are different programs, but to me KLM is KLM.

zpaul likes this.
  8. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My one and only airline status match was within the same alliance. UA matched my LH Sen status back in the days. Of course, now I have no status in any airline (well *S on A3, soon to be *G).

zpaul likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do I remember correctly that when status matches first began, the new carrier asked why and required something like a move or a new job to justify the status matches? This would be USA legacy carriers.

zpaul likes this.