Very low fare AA SFO-JFK in F on -300 in August

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYBanker, Jul 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I was poking around for some JFK-SFO-JFK tickets and saw what is either a typo or otherwise very good fare for first-class travel on the 2-class 767-300.

Whereas these flights are usually $1,692 for an "instant upgrade" fare (an I fare in business), on the daily two-class flight (767-300), AA is offering a fare of $479 one way in the forward cabin. It looks like this fare is available only on the 2-class flight, but seemed to be available for many days in August. This plane will have angled-lie flat seats in the forward cabin.

I know business travel slows in August...but it is very odd that they'd offer such a cut rate deal on just this one flight...which makes me think typo.

If you are thinking of flying this route in August, I'd act quickly... this is a good deal.

AASfo.JPG

It is less favorable on the JFK-SFO segment, with a higher (but still very low) fare, and less availability.
    AAJfk.JPG

eae, rwoman, Jubileesmom and 7 others like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn it, where's that "1"? I know I dropped it around here somewhere.

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA has been having a quiet F "sale" for a lot of domestic routes over the last several weeks. I think I read that it seemed to be in response to Delta doing the same.

rwoman and Jubileesmom like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yuppers! Has been going on for awhile, all the way back to mid-June it seems: LINK and LINK.

rwoman and FriendlySkies like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    There has been a fare sale...but it would be odd to run it on just one flight a day.

This is a pretty pricey route...and DL isn't running any specials as best I know on SFO-JFK.

DLSFO.JPG

rwoman and GoodBoy like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't find those particularly compelling reasons to think this is outside of that sale though. Just because DL isn't running a sale now doesn't mean that it wasn't at one point or that the fare buckets weren't already purchased. Same with AA's other flights.

rwoman and GoodBoy like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    We disagree. The reasons I don't think this is an intentional sale:
    • DL isn't running anything like that on any of the random days I looked at in August.
    • In general, this is a yieldy route for carriers and they haven't been discounting it in front for some time.
    • AA is running this fare on all of the random days in August that I looked at, but just on the 767-300 flight.
    We'll never know for sure! :)

FriendlySkies and GoodBoy like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

You're right, I could very well be mistaken, but it fits a pattern of behavior so it doesn't really raise my eyebrows. ;)

There's actually lower prices on the same dates (low $400s) on MIA-LAX, also on the 763.

Screen Shot 2012-07-08 at 7.03.36 PM.png

rwoman, FriendlySkies and GoodBoy like this.
  9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed some cheap up front seats the other day between iah-mia and iah-ord as well. (I think it was in either Aug or early Sept i was just putting random dates in so don't remember exactly)

rwoman likes this.
  10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've snagged a few of these, as many are often very close to what coach fares are available. Too bad you don't get 1,5x EQM like UA, only EQP on AA which is pretty much useless

Golden Toque and rwoman like this.
  11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a last minute fare JFK-ORD-LGA on Delta for tomorrow. $670 r/t in first (on regionals). About $150 more than the same flights in economy.

rwoman likes this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is why some of us stalk certain fares all the time! :D

13. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noticed these a while ago, had one booked but cancelled it in light of some down-gauging and mayhem I saw earlier this summer on the 763s on the SFO-JFK route. Also, seems to be good pricing on connecting itineraries on this route. While they don't seem to be responding to any specific competition, I wish their competitors (namely UA) would follow this pricing model instead of underselling F and then filling it with ToDs.

14. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Likewise this is available for certain central america routes as well, possibly as part of the current fare sale there although I haven't seen it advertised: SFO-DFW-SAL is running ~$900 in A/I vs. ~$600 for coach. Could just be they're trying to tap the tech boom in SF?