Very Interesting PS 757-200 Layout

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, May 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm taking my first PS flight this Wednesday, and I was just checking to make sure there weren't any schedule or unasked for seat changes in the itinerary. This is the first flight of the trip, and I can't wait to see THIS plane! :)

[​IMG]

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think UA kinda missed the boat here with the p.s. reconfiguration. The 2-2 lie-flat J cabin is nice, but behind the competition.

If you ever have the opportunity, check out the JetBlue A321T that operates JFK-LAX/SFO — also 2-2 in J, but with four suites in J that take up an entire half of the aisle.

Or take a look at the AA A321T that operates JFK-LAX/SFO — the F cabin is 1-1 with suites on each side, and the J cabin is 2-2 with lie-flat seats. In principle it's possible for AA ExPlat elites to get complimentary upgrades on this aircraft.

Newscience likes this.
  3. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA totally missed the boat with the config.

BTW, this is an "international" flight within the US. Expect

- Free lounge access
    - Business First Amenities ( this means, the think duvet, pillow)
    - Sundae ( ask them to wake you up for it lol)
    - Cheap but flavorful champagne
    - Slightly elevated wine choice
    - UACO business first flat bed seat
    - Dinner is served on 8PM flight / French toast for breakfast

The best feature I think is the small, intimate operation at JFK. You can show up T-30 and still check bags.

BTW, the seat map is not accurate. There is a galley and door 2L between row 4 and 5

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... I was really making fun of UA for messing up the layout online. This appears to be a PS 737, as if such a thing existed. ;)

All the amenities are great, but I am a UC member, don't drink and eat a low carb diet. It's a 9 am flight, so I guess I'll have to pass on the french toast. I hope they have some real eggs and meat as an option.

I scheduled this trip a few months ago before I knew how crazy my work load was going to be, so it is now just going to be a much needed day of rest. I'll probably sleep through most of it. My thinking was that I should experience it while a RPU would still get me a seat up front, and it worked. TCONs originating in NY have never been on my schedule, but I made it happen. May not be as good as the others, but right now I'm still a UA FF, so this is it. I am looking forward to it. Just so long as they don't sub a 737 on me. :)

Flyer1976, Newscience and dhammer53 like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the same config they've had in place for about a year now.
    Not really.
    It isn't flying yet (starts June 15 on LAX; SFO later) and they don't call it the A321T; that's an AA thing. It is a staggered layout and the single seats are very nice (I've sat in the demo version a couple times). But I'd say that it is on par with the others, not a leap ahead necessarily. Flat-bed seating and very nicely appointed, but it isn't like AA F.

The AA J/C seat is the same as the UA seat. And as the seat DL is installing new this summer.

When DL and AA are installing the same thing UA has been running for a year now it is hard to see how UA is somehow behind on the effort.

AA still has F. That's great for them. But it is not clear how many are buying it.

TravelerRob likes this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. I'm sure people don't mind at all paying for this PS with only one lav to share among 28 BF pax. THIS plane doesn't exist.

MX likes this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    What seats are those, Seth? I'm not a fan of either of the ones they have now. (Although I am thankful they do go flat.) Thanks.

8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seatguru shows a 2nd lav behind 4A/B.

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! I'm stunned that so many missed my simple poke of fun at UA's IT for showing the wrong layout, apparently one for a 737, on one of their PS flights. As an emerchant myself, I can understand that things can sometimes go inexplicably wrong, but I would think that a company with the size and IT budget of UA could insure that something as simple as this.

traveltoomuch and gregm like this.
  10. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Part of me wonders if Smisek is headed in that direction. The 737-800/900ER can certainly fly the distance.

11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice call! (Sorry, we're all a little thick.)

KenInEscazu likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a product made by B/E Aerospace. CO installed them on the international 752s and 772s starting a while ago. AA and DL are putting the same seat (slightly different IFE system) on their transcon planes today.

gregm likes this.
  13. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    It already does. But UA decides to fly the even crappier A319/A320 on transcons (e.g. IAD-SEA and EWR-SEA). Blech.

-Rob

14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've been flying IAD-LAX on 320s since at least 2009 (probably earlier). I had a cancelation in 2009 on LAX-IAD that resulted in me being rebooked from the 777 that canceled to a 320 later that morning.

15. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not in a premium service configuration. Regular domestic transcontinental and ps are two different products.

In Economy

- Blanket and pillows for everyone
    - IFE ( On Demand ) similar to intl
    - Wifi

16. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know, thanks. I was referring to even smaller planes flying the transcons (smaller than 738/9). p.s. Service or not. If UA loses market share in JFK-SFO/LAX then I could see them putting p.s. on different plane types or just subbing in some smaller planes (domestic first).

17. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    If UA does that they can expect to finally lose my business domestically. ps means I get international style amenities.

The fares are priced accordingly. Business in ps carries a premium (ex JFK) over domestic first (ex EWR).

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, a 737-900 would not be all that different than the current 757 config. You would still have two lavs in both the BF cabin and aft cabins, respectively. Both a/c are the identical width, so they could put the same seats in the 900 without losing much in the back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it might make sense as they move to retire the 757s in years to come. I guess there might be some loss at the pointy end with regard to overhead space.

I flew it today, so it's now off my bucket list. Loved the lay flat seats, but I've had them before in intl. BF. The pillow and duvet definitely made for a nice touch, and the food was a couple of notches above what I'm used to in domestic F or intl. J.

The crew was top notch in attitude and service, with one notable exception. I have struggled all day with how to report this to UA without sounding completely politically incorrect, but she had one very distinguishing feature. She was curt, to the point of being almost rude, while every other FA was just over the top friendly, happy and seemed to be enjoying their job.

My seat malfunctioned, which they reported. The wifi was a ripoff, as it was so slow as to be useless. I couldn't even download my email without getting hung up throughout the whole trip. Other than that, it was a very pleasant experience. I won't go out of my way to fly it again when it's not part of my necessary itinerary, but the difference is notable. I was thinking the whole time that I would not want to pay for AA's true F seats, or for Jet Blue's suites. It was plenty comfortable for a 6.5 hour flight, and I slept for 3 hours quite well at the end when I gave up on the internet.

19. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's how I feel about the ps product. When I lived near Manhattan it was worth the hassle getting to/from JFK for the improved hard product, compared to domestic birds serving the route to/from EWR. Even when going up to PDX I'd take a ps flight to SFO and connect up vs slimlines on an a320.

The product is, for me, 100% fine for the route it serves. I've read the press releases about the B6 and AA products, but since I use upgrade instruments to support being in the forward cabin domestically, what UA offers on these routes is great.

20. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Difference is, the B6 product is priced significantly below UA's ($599 a one-way).

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  21. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I generally pay in excess of 1200 for a r/t coach seat corp travel rules prohibit buying F outright.

The only way it would fly (pun intended) is if every coach seat in the market was more expensive than the B6 F seat.

22. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is rumored that B6 will have the option to buy up to F after Y is purchased. ;)

meFIRST and Wandering Aramean like this.
  23. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should ask the FA to wake you up for the Sundae, as advertised. Its part of the experience.

24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I resisted the temptation to be served the sundae, just as I did the night before on the Copa flight up to JFK from PTY. If I had been asleep, however, I would have been plenty unhappy with anyone who woke me for some ice cream! LOL Once I was out on those lay-flats with a real duvet, the hum of the jet engines and an actually comfortable pillow, I did not want to be disturbed. :)