Very high award taxes & fuel surcharge... Correct or glitch?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by uva185, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at booking 2 F tickets from IAD to CPT with a stopover in LHR. I am aware of BA's fuel surcharge and based on the published increases it should be £460 ($750) for my roundtrip.

The total taxes & fees ba.com quotes me is over £835 ($1,350) per passenger. Even with the UK's luxury tax on departing F passengers that amount seems high.

I'll pay it if need be I just want to make sure that amount is correct and it is not some glitch.

2. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    What does ITA say?

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sounds about right, maybe a little high but not much. Let's assume $900 in fuel surcharges, $150 UK luxury tax due to the stopover, then leaving $300 in airport taxes... seems high by about $100. But you're pretty much in the ballpark.

4. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    Yikes. I haven't done a BA redemption in a while but I hadn't realized how exorbitant the fuel fines had become.[​IMG]

5. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a long trip and probably correct with the new fuel surcharges. It should say on the site exactly what the charges are for if you click on a certain link.

6. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do sound high to me, but you are getting stung for two lots of fuel surcharges. My most recent F redemption was £450 in taxes and charges. However, you should not be paying UK departure charges unless you are stopping over, so it might be worth querying.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    OP says that there's a LHR stopover..

8. flytoeat
    Original Member

flytoeat Active Member

Status Points:
    I priced a similar award trip to Nairobi from the US west coast at about that much out of pocket.

9. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch...and I thought the A$300+ required on a one-way LHR-JFK F award was steep!

10. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fuel is £105 / £125 depening on sector length, so £460 as you say

UK departure tax is £170 to SA and I think £120 to East Coast US, so £290

So that is £750 ($1,100) with 2 stopovers, plus the usual Heathrow and other airport charges

11. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    Only had one stopover, but thank you for breaking down the taxes! I might just scratch BA for this trip and use *A. As much as I'd like to use my Chase Companion Pass, paying 270k miles + $2,700 in "taxes" just doesn't seem worth it :(

Might need to look into a LAN award to IPC via SCL or a Cathay award to DPS via HKG :D

12. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well you won't be the first and I'm sure you won't be the last.

To be honest this thread just comes across as yet another Chase card holder anti BA rant.

13. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    Rant? Perhaps you're reading a different thread than I am, but I don't see anybody ranting here. (Unless any observation on the exorbitant nature of the fuel surcharges makes it a rant...) And I hadn't heard of the Chase card either until uva185 mentioned it. Not quite sure what makes this a rant really.

14. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    Not a rant at all. I'm quite happy with my BA miles. Just vocalizing my thought that redeeming on a partner carrier to avoid a hefty fuel surcharge might be a better redemption value than redeeming the miles on BA using the companion pass.

Isn't this site about maximizing miles and points? How does suggesting I use 300k Star Miles + $350ish over 270k BA Miles + $2700 qualify as a rant???

15. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite right - neither 'Anti BA' nor Rant - just a statement of the facts. If you can redeem on another progamme and avoid LHR (and the taxes) - why wouldn't you?

16. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I use my BA miles to purchase an ex-EU award ticket on CX to somewhere in Asia, will the fees be less than BA?

17. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well you start the thread in the knowledge that you are going to pay high taxes/charges....and then you go on to say " I'll pay it if need be".

In your next post you say "I might just scratch BA for this trip and use *A. As much as I'd like to use my Chase Companion Pass, paying 270k miles + $2,700 in "taxes" just doesn't seem worth it.
    What was the point in starting the thread when you knew what the taxes/charges were going to be when flying with BA?
    I suggest you Chase punters should have read BA's redemption terms and conditions before you signed up for these mile deals instead of leaving it till after the event then coming on to forums and moaning about it. There's been a constant stream of posts both here and even more so on FT from naive USA based newbies wanting something for nothing.

18. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    I posted what I believed the fuel surcharge to be and I assumed about an extra $200 in taxes on top of that. Turns out my assumption was about $350 off.
    I simply re-calculated the value of the miles. I posted two other awards that I could take in lieu of a BA metal companion pass award that would have a higher value to me. People change their mind and make re-calculations all the time. It does not make it a rant, nor does it mean I am bitter toward BA.

Frankly you just come of as bitter toward those that got miles from a credit card vs. flying. If I had not mentioned the Chase card it seems you would not consider my thread a rant. Odd.

19. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not bitter at all.....I would have taken advantage of it as well if I could have.

I just don't understand how you can quibble about paying the taxes/charges for two First Class returns to CPT? It's crazy!!
    Okay.....so you are now scrapping the BA 2-4-1 deal and flying to CPT using your Star miles. How much saving will you make by flying with a Star carrier in First Class?

20. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    I'm Chairmans with US so I have plenty of Star Miles. It will cost 300k miles for 2 pax on Star as opposed to 270k for 1 pax (plus using the companion pass) on BA. I'll save about $2,350 in taxes and then just use the BA miles for a Cathay or LAN award.

Sorry it came out as a rant, I just came to the realization there are better redemption options after posting in this thread. It's not about the money itself, it's about what else I can get for a better value.

21. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me, it didn't come over as a rant. But in fairness to EZEIZA, it's probably the first thread about Chase redemptions which has not been an 'OMG BA are awful for making us pay such high taxes - once I've used the free miles I got for never flying with them, I'm never flying with them again' type post.

Call it forum weariness to that type of response, which generates a certain sensitivity. We know the taxes are high. It's been discussed ad nauseum. So to see more and more outraged Americans all basically saying the same does get well painful.

You, OTOH, asked a fairly legitimate question - were the taxes correct. And they were. At which point you re-evaluated what you were planning to do. But it's a bit of a sore subject for BA regulars... and we thought the Jaguar thing was tiresome ;)

IMH likes this.
  22. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    No worries at all and I appreciate the explanation. I actually do want to try BA First even with the fuel surcharge -- it's just about maximizing what I can get with a set amount of miles.

I guess the same concept could apply over on the US board about people paying $1400 to buy 100k miles and then complaining about fees, availability, etc...

23. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I'll say it then: OMG BA are awful for making us pay such high taxes.

I have a lot of BA miles, Chase and the hard way. Today I try to book 2 Business tickets SDQ-MAD-BIO r/t on Iberia through BA.com. Price: 120K miles + $1,624.96 p/p!!

Here is a case of BA actually stealing. They levy a $530 YQ (Iberia has no YQ). They charge $966.56 "Dominican transp. tax" - there is no tax on a free ticket.

Now before you all flame me to death for my rant - the same ticket PURCHASED from Iberia in "I" class, carries a total of $605.00 in taxes and fees. The same award ticket through AA or IB carries $128.40 in fees.

I am seriously regretting having accumulated so many miles with BA. For the record, I have no problem with BA charging whatever they want for their product; I knew what I was getting into. This isn't their product and they are just pocketing the money that they don't, in fact, have to pay to anyone.

24. Prospero
    Original Member

Prospero Silver Member

Status Points:
    pjoalfa, as you made reference to a transatlantic joint business route, are you certain the fuel surcharges mandated on a BA redemption ticket are not being divvied out to the operating carrier?

25. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very sure, as buying the ticket for cash attracts no such YQ. $605 in fees on a $2.5k ticket, most of it is Dominican sales tax. The rest are the security fees, airport fees. And no, I don't think YQ is built into the fare as the Iberia fare is already the lowest, by far, of the 3 airlines.

N.B. to be fair, you cannot buy the ticket for cash on BA.com (why not????), the pricing I am referring to comes up on AA.com and Iberia.com.