Very Disappointed with SPG mileage transfer

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by marcwint55, Feb 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Jan 11 I transferred 75k to Lufthansa with no problem. On Jan 12 I did the same, and the miles have never shown up. I have called SPG and Lufthansa and they both seem to blame each other, but nothing has been resolved. I unfortunately lost out on a reward ticket that was available and no longer is for the date that I needed. Since my dealing was with SPG, I think they should be much more pro-active at resolving this. I may re-evaluate my platinum 50 status with them based on this poor level of customer service. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem?

MX and uggboy like this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is disappointing - sorry there were problems.

I've never dealt with CS on a transfer but I have had several transfers take 2 or more weeks. Most ever was nearly a month. Most others have been 3-7 days which is still too long IMHO.

It should be 48 biz hrs max - that is a policy that can be measured.

Good luck!

marcwint55, uggboy and MX like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only transfered SPG points between family members, and it took a week between points disappearing from one SPG account and reappearing in the other. I was not in a hurry then, but still expect a transfer within the system to be instant.

marcwint55, uggboy and ballardFlyer like this.
  4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree 1000% that it should be near instant for person to person - maybe a little time for "compliance" validation that you are family members with same address.

Hyatt is similar - many things are not really "automated" under the hood.

marcwint55, uggboy and MX like this.
  5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also you might try contacting William from SPG on the board here or calling SPG CS and asking for a supervisor if you haven't already. The airline won't be able to help I'd guess.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This highlights a major problem with SPG - transfers can take a while. AmEx MR has instant transfers for most partners, and I think (not sure) that Chase UR does as well.

marcwint55 and MX like this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    UR is instant. And no excise taxes like Amex MR.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It well documented that some transfers do take a little longer.... it has reported these tend to run in batches depending on the respective airlines.
    But this by no means unique among airlines to hotel transfers (or visa-versa) HA to HH has been known to upwards of a month.

Perhaps the first lesson here is to not to wait until the last minute if one thinks they may the need the points within in a relatively short timeframe.
    The second is the subtle difference in realization that SPG is a lodging chain and I for one might ( and dare say others) be hard pressed to consider points transfer times as an
    important factor as to where I might want to spend the night.:)

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. SPG is a loyalty program where you earn and redeem points. Lots of hotels participate in the program but SPG is a loyalty program. Sheraton, Four Points, Westin and others are lodging chains.

And, yes, there really is a difference.

It is a shame that no one at SPG can provide guidance on how long the transfer is actually supposed to take and then figure out how to audit the transaction if it didn't post in the appropriate time frame. That seems to be the key missing factor here. If we knew that they post on the 11th every month that would at least mean that we could know what to expect. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh ...Ok thanks for the little lecture in semantics:)

The fact still remains that SPG ( ye olde loyalty program) is by no means unique in the somewhat unpredictability of transfers.
    We all( should I say you all) can sit here and say it should be better but I remember quite clearly when it was posted elsewhere that some facets of a transfer can trigger an
    additional investigation with regard to fraud etc, etc which could delay the transfer.

A little checking around can prove quite valuable at times.:)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    marcwint55 likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which others suffer from such unpredictability? AmEx MR and Chase UR don't.

Feel free to provide some specifics instead of alluding to something.

LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have the points disappeared out of the SPG account?

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice to know you would at least read my posts In this very same thread if you intend to engage me in any form of discussion.:)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    marcwint55 likes this.
  14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, instantly.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then I think there is no excuse for SPG not being able to tell you where the points are and when they are going to appear in your LH account. Transferring points is an important part of their program. Crappy customer service. Pathetic implementation of the transfer feature (calendar check: it's 2014!).

marcwint55, MX and Wandering Aramean like this.