Verizon Wireless Unlimited Global data plan, may be coming back??

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by chanp, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    So in mid Jan, VZW decided to get rid of their unlimited global data. Alot of us weren't happy about this as we liked the feature with VZW that allowed us to turn on and off global unlimited data, as we traveled.

I wasn't happy about this and contacted a close friend at VZW and he promised me that he could get it back on for me, but I would have to leave it on perm. So I called him today, said make that happen.

He just called me and said there are new plans coming up, which includes the unlimited data, but not as a feature, but bundled with calling plans and about $10 cheaper per month. I said go ahead and do it and call me back. So...not sure what he is saying is actually true, but I shall see when he get's it hooked up and rings me back. I'll log into VZW and see what/how the plan is titled. He said I can take it off and on as well, but bills will be prorated.

My current plan is $80 a month and the old global data was $70. He said the new together plan would be at $140 per month. My concern is will I still get my corporate discount, he said yes. I hope that's true, esp with new plans, VZW usually doesn't allow discounts.

Anyone else hear of anything new coming? I'll keep updates posted here.

2. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Below is what my plan consists of.

Looks like 450 min plan will be $124.98
    900-$144.98
    1350-$154.98
    unlimited-$174.98

The 900 to 1350 diff is only 10 bucks. Not sure what it was last time, I think it was $20.

Now I hope this is truely unlimited global data.

NATIONWIDE EMAIL & MSG 900
    Contract Ends on Plan Details

Monthly access charge:$113.08 ( 22% off of $144.98)
    Monthly allowance minutes:900 general
    Per minute rate after allowance:$0.40 peak , $0.40 off-peak
    Promotion details
    22% ACCESS DISCOUNT
    Included Features
    Message Waiting Ind
    3-Way Calling
    Call Waiting
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
    GLOBALEMAIL B2B PDA WSYNC MB
    NEW EVERY TWOBusy Transfer
    Call Delivery
    No Answer Transfer
    UNL TEXT MESSAGING
    Friends & Family 5

Additional Features
    Streamline Billing
    Ringback Tones
    Call Forwarding
    IP Untestricted
    UNL PICTURE/VIDEO MSG
    International Value Plan
    Block Picture&Video MessagingInternatl Dialing Allowed
    Caller ID
    Basic Voice Mail
    Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes
    Block Premium SMS
    Total Equipment Coverage - Advanced Devices
    Premium Animated Messaging Block

3. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. AlaskaAir738
    Original Member

AlaskaAir738 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't heard of anything new regarding this. I would love for Verizon to restore the Unlimited Global plan. I am seeing something about VZW eliminating the domestic iPhone Unlimited plan though. [​IMG]

5. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have it back on, but I think it s an older plan that was eliminated Nov 10, 2010. Grandfathered back in, I guess. I think it can happen, just gotta make it happen.

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will definitely follow this as I am really needing a global plan. I just need to find a new handset first. Still using the O-Droid.

chanp likes this.
  7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I traded my X for a D2G in white. He did it for me yesterday. This older way of plan saves a bit of money. With my discount for 113 a month plus taxes, I'm ok with it, for global use.

8. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they had the global plan back, I could be convinced to drop my T-Mo Blackberry and consolidate the whole thing under VZ. Would probably be about equal to what I'm paying now to VZ and TMo.

But I'll I'm hearing is about them dropping unlimited US data for the iPhone and Androids.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the time that I did the initial sign-up for my wife's they indicated that the unlimited plan was only at launch and would be discontinued at some point, though existing customers will keep it.

10. AlaskaAir738
    Original Member

AlaskaAir738 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same as what I have heard.
    I also believe one can be grandfathered into the Global Unlimited plan if they had it prior to the change. Question is, will they let you cancel it and then add it back at a later time?

11. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could be possible, at least from what I'm hearing.

12. theclippers

theclippers Active Member

Status Points:
    I bought a new iPhone 5 for full retail and was assured that I would be able to keep my plan. When I called to activate I was also assured that I would be keeping my Unlimited Global Data Plan. An hour after I activated the phone I get a text that I have used 50% of my data for the month. I call Verizon right away and they say I was changed to a 2gb domestic plan and that the rep who activated my phone must have made an input error. They tell me that they will put in a request for my plan to be reinstated and that they will notify me within 48 hours. A day later I decide to call the Global Help Line and they tell me the same thing but will also put in a request.

Then today, I get an email stating there was a change to my account and login to Verizon to see the letter. Well guess what? It says that I have 2gb plan. WTF?

So, I call the Global line again today and the super friendly rep states that both my requests have been denied. She now puts in a request for me and tells me I have to wait another 48 hours for an answer.

I've had this plan for years and hope they take care of this but meanwhile my blood pressure has gone way up. I have spent almost 5 hours on phone calls.

I would never had bought the Iphone for $935.00 if I knew this was going to happen.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're screwing something up - when you pay full retail, you clearly get to keep your existing plan. That's been stated before by Verizon and has been covered by tech blogs. Keep escalating or threaten to return the phone immediately if you're within the 14 day window. You never agreed to any plan changes and there's little excuse to make you continue to wait.

This is pretty much how I will be buying phones from Verizon going forward - since I only replace my phone after at least 2 years anyway, it's not that big of a deal to me to lose subsidies (which are becoming less and less all the time anyway).

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. globaluser

globaluser New Member

Status Points:
    theclippers--

What ever happened with your Unlimited Global Data plan after you changed over to the iPhone 5--a 4g phone? Did you get it back? I've just changed over to an iPhone 6 from a 4s last week. Bought the phone full price. Was assured it would be fine. Like you, the grandfathered unlimited GLOBAL data plan dropped off and defaulted to a 2G Domestic data plan.. Representative submitted an Inactive Pricing Request. Called yesterday. It had been denied. Rep. investigated and the reason was "pricing plan not offered." They told me that a 4g phone was not compatible technologically with this Unlimited GLOBAL DATA plan. If I wanted to change back to my 4s or another 3g phone it would be restored. In the meantime they have submitted another Inactive Pricing Request to give me the normal Domestic $29.99 unlimited data that all the other grandfathered customers have. I'd like to know what happened with your iPhone 5 and the Global Data. Is it true there are technological issues of getting it on a 4g device or not? Trying to figure out if I should once again invest the time in challenging this. Thanks for giving me an update.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was in a similar situation and got screwed on the upgrade. Walked away to TMo and am not looking back.

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. globaluser

globaluser New Member

Status Points:
    Your issue was with the Unlimited GLOBAL DATA plan?

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

18. globaluser

globaluser New Member

Status Points:
    So you think it is true that the "incompatibility" reason is true?---that going from a 3g to 4g phone is technologically incapable of transferring the Unlimited Global feature? Because if the technology is capable, I will escalate the matter. But if indeed the technology limits it and is different, I understand it is futile. I may be one of the last customers with this feature. I don't want to let it go easily--short of returning to a 4s.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, no, I don't think that's an accurate reason for them to deny the plan. I think they just don't want to support it anymore because they're losing money on it and they want to stop doing that.

My point was that I got tossed from the plan just like others despite many promises that if I brought my own device I could keep it. And so I walked away, taking my business elsewhere. I'm sure VZW is not sad to lose me as a customer. And I'm not all that disappointed to lose them as a vendor.

20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Verizon several years ago stopped all unlimited data plans from being allowed to "upgrade" phones. You had to purchase full retail on the phone to be allowed to keep it. There were tricks to keep it of course, but these were the policies. 99% of the press covered the regular unlimited data, but it applied to both.

Like WA, we jumped to TMo and haven't looked back.

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did pay full retail and they still wouldn't let me keep the plan. That's why this sucks so much.

Tenmoc likes this.
  22. globaluser

globaluser New Member

Status Points:
    Were you ever at any point on the GLOBAL Unlimited data plan on a 4g/LTE device?

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. Though from what I gathered in the conversation I had with the rep it didn't matter.

24. globaluser

globaluser New Member

Status Points:
    I believe that's the catch. A lot has happened since I posted last. The request to restore me back onto the Domestic portion of the Unlimited data was also denied due to "out of time limit". I flipped--remediation was begun immediately when the global plan fell off. Long story short and 9 calls to customer service later, it was a catch 22 (won't even bore you with it). Then I was promised resolution by a supervisor and never heard back from him or anyone. This has been going on for a month. Can't begin to tell you how frustrated it's been. Anyway, I finally found an email route to Executive Relations--contacted my Regional President. Sent email Sunday--got a call today Monday. Seems that the Global Unlimited Plan is considered a "sunset" plan. It was never offered when 4g devices came on to the scene. Whereas the regular Domestic Unlimited data was still offered when 4g phones were sold. So I can keep the Global feature if I stay on a 3g phone but not on a 4g phone. So right then and there, I was put on the regular domestic UDP. And I'll just get a SIM when I travel overseas---or switch carriers at some point if I want. My phone is totally unlocked, even domestically. I mean how long can I stay on a 3g phone? I'm kind of glad it's over. Just want to be done with it all. In the end I got a $ credit on my account and his telephone number and extension (yes it's a real one I believe) in case I have any trouble going forward.

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but it is one which was never disclosed when I repeatedly asked about keeping my plan while paying for my own device. And I asked several times including at the store while the guy was activating the device. He said it would be fine and then hosed me.

It is the company's prerogative to make such decisions. It is my prerogative to walk away. Yes, service in NYC was better with VZW than TMo. But I'm paying ~40% less and have much more flexibility internationally. And the domestic service has not suffered enough for me to be too upset.