Verizon Tiered Data Plans - Begins 7/7

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ArizonaGuy, Jun 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to detailed leaked info acquired by AndroidCentral.com, the tiered data begins on 7/7.

For smartphones (3G or 4G LTE):
    $30 - 2GB
    $50 - 5GB (includes business email connectivity)
    $80 - 10GB (includes business email connectivity)

No unlimited option. Overage is $10 per 1GB regardless of plan. Also, for $20 additional for any of those, you get Verizon's unnecessary special tethering app and an additional 2GB. Another annoyance is that corporate discounts on consumer data plans (most are 20%) no longer apply to that $30 rate.

If you have the unlimited $30 plan currently, or get it prior to 7/7, you are grandfathered in. So if you were thinking about switching to Verizon soon, do it NOW. The claim is that you can upgrade your phone down the road and still keep the unlimited data as long as no plan or feature changes are made. This raises speculation that people moving from 3G to 4G in the future won't get to keep the unlimited option because this requires a feature change on the account. But this hasn't been clarified, nor has Verizon released any of this information officially to the public.

AndroidCentral Article here

sobore, sagefemme52 and SC Flier like this.
  2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    My 2 cents on this are:

1. You had to assume it was coming eventually
    2. I can't believe they didn't match ATT in pricing. Its hard to convince the customer that the fact that they are now getting less for the same price is a good deal. At least in ATTs case they let you reduce your plan significantly and save a big chunk of money or they gave you still a slightly reasonable set of data and save $5.
    3. I can't believe that they are treating real 4G data in this plan and limiting it so much. It really makes switching to Verizon a joke in my mind.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My $30 on this:

I am on the unlimited AT&T plan and don't think I have exceeded 2GB in a given month, even though I use it quite a bit (including occasional audio streaming). Still, charging the same for less is fairly unacceptable in technology where costs just go down.

I got a free Verizon Mifi at Google IO with three months of free 3G/4G service. Without an unlimited plan at reasonable cost (I used to pay $45 / unlimited EVDO on Sprint) there is no way I'll continue to use it beyond the three month period.

Charging for tethering with a limited/capped plan is an insult. It's none of their business how I use the capacity quota i paid for. On AT&T I use MyWi to turn it into a hotspot when I need access and wifi isn't available (rare). I'd never pay extra for that.

4. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Yes, we knew that it was coming. That's not in question. Verizon was very upfront early in the year that tiered data plans were coming this summer.
    2. Unfortunately, Verizon has never been cheap. You pay for the decent customer service and that ungodly expensive LTE network - cost them a hell of a lot to be the first to deploy and go live with datacards, MiFi's and smartphones.
    3. I agree. Here's a clean, wide highway. But you can only drive 5 miles before you must stop.
    I use anywhere from 200mb to 500mb. But I have a 3G device, I'm not streaming music (I do that on my PC while working), nor do I care to watch Netflix on my phone. In fact, only place I would do that is on a plane but of course there won't be an LTE signal even if I were permitted to turn the radio on. Now I can accept a world of data caps, and 2GB for $30 is fine for my needs at 3G / EVDO speeds. But 4G LTE? They advertise Netflix, Hulu Pus is now on some devices, but the usefulness of those is gone, or at least ridiculously expensive.

adambadam likes this.
  5. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone clarify for sure as I'm a current Verizon unlimited custiomer up for a new phone in two weeks. If I get a 4G phone, I'll lose the unlimited data plan, in addition to the employee discount on whatever I pay for whatever data plan I choose?