Verdict reached for Apple in Samsung case

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, Aug 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

of course Apple launched their business by ripping off Xerox Parc... I guess Jobs set the policy that that he who has been stoned should throw the first sin.

YULtide, sobore, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    and Xerox Parc actually got most of their stuff from SRI, but then Apple just did that again, more openly, by buying SIRI from SRI. Odd in a way, that Apple and Microsoft ripped each other off but neither would have been a success without the other. Apple and Samsung seem to be in the same boat now since Samsung supplies so much to Apple while they battle it out in court.

It is a strange world, is it not?

YULtide, mht_flyer, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry buy I'm gonna have to disagree with you, Apple didn't rip off xerox. Apple built the GUI for Parc that they didn't have. In exchange for the knowledge Xerox was allowed to buy stock in Apple before they had their IPO. Xerox stood to make a ton of money had they held on to the stock.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's an interesting piece of the history that I hadn't heard before. Thanks.

Sent from my iClone using Android.

YULtide, mht_flyer, sobore and 4 others like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I'm not sure it's a fair rendition of what happened, either, though I'm hardly an expert. Certainly not the way Walter Isaacson tells the story in his Steve Jobs biography.

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that where your inspriration as a travel blogger comes from? :)

Gary Leff: Inspired by Picasso, Steve Jobs and Mommy Points.

-David

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in the early 1980's I worked with SRI in Menlo Park on technological innovation. I claim no inside knowledge. I do know factually that there was a huge amount of formal and informal collaboration. HP at the time used lots of weird interns, a few of whom became famous. Xerox used to give a fair number of research projects, some of which were done at SRI, but the intellectual rights went to Xerox. The mouse was one such well-documented case:
    http://www.sri.com/work/timeline/computer-mouse

My impression today is that nobody really knows for sure who took what from whom in those days. Everyone in that area with those interests hung out in the same places and knew each other. The most clever/self-centered/industrious/ intelligent (choose one or more based on your special set of biases) tended to collect patents and commercialize them or just "steal" the idea. "Steal" at the time I do not think was really accurate. It was more like shared inspiration. After the fact jealousy and envy appeared an the famous winners were accused of theft.

I was coded as the small commercial loan expert for one of the first AI-based commercial lending system. I received wages, nothing more, and no credit either. A couple people made fame and careers. Good for them! I am happy to have been associated with that. 'Course the later innovations form which SRI helped me receive credit more than made up for the ones I did not.

Never did I know Steve Jobs although I met him briefly. At the time I remembered him for poor personal hygiene and rudeness. I thought he would not last. These appear to have been accurate observations but I also did not see any glimmer of what wonders he would accomplish.

Now I am a devoted Applephile, astonished at what incredible legacy Mr Jobs has given the world.

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    YULtide, mht_flyer and jbcarioca like this.