Venmo

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sharris503, Dec 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have problems transferring the $1200 max all at once or is it better to break it up into smaller amounts throughout the month? I did a test run last month and transfered $1200 all at once and didn't have any problems, but I'm looking to use it every month for the next 8 or 9 months to help meet my spend requirements for next year.

gleff likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep it to smaller, more random amounts.

3. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with NYBanker's suggestion above.

For services like Venmo, the key is to fly under the radar. Another tip for you... do your transfer to someone else's account (e.g. significant other's or trusted friend's), but only one way, i.e. only from account A to B, but not back from B to A. The owner of account B will cash it out and give it to you.

rharrigill likes this.
  4. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I transfer "rent" and "utilities" one-way, every month to hit $1200. After a few months they raised my transfer limit to $2000. They even let me add a fourth card as I cancelled a couple of the old ones I no longer use.

5. shadab

shadab Active Member

Status Points:
    Is there a service charge (3%) for each payment using credit card?

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Here's their text on that:
    "How much does it cost to use Venmo?
    Nothing. It's completely free to sign up and there are no transaction fees for payments you make with friends. In the future, Venmo will charge businesses a transaction fee."

I haven't noticed a service charge for "cash advance" but would ask others to verify their cc statements for such.

7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used it once to test it out and my CC statement said "venmo.com payment service." It did not appear as a cash advance on my cc statement.

8. blase

blase Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been using Venmo for about 4 months now and have had no problems (knock on wood). My limit is $2000 a month for some reason, maybe because I have been using it for a while? Not sure. I have been sending the payments to my mom and just added my brother in the last month. I send the payment one way to them and then they withdraw it into their Chase checking accounts and then a few days later will mail me an electronic check from Chase. This way it's only going one way.

I have done amounts of $1109.50, $1026, $1795 and $1356 and have had no issues. I try to make the amounts look a bit random.

It's been a great help for me, especially with meeting minimum spend on that Amex Business Gold offer from a few months ago (75k MR points after $10k in spend within 5 months). It's my new "coin" scheme!!

PointHoarder likes this.
  9. shadab

shadab Active Member

Status Points:
    can someone please send me an invite on venmo. there is a waiting list to join venmo.

10. Just download the app and then sign up. You don't need a referral by signing up through the app.

icurhere2 and sobore like this.
  11. shadab

shadab Active Member

Status Points:
    @Blase:

did you send over $1000 by venmo in one transaction ??

12. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This deal is dead for new user and dying for old customers. Thank you VM for the good old days.
    Just got an email from venmo:
    Starting May 1st for you (and starting today for new users),
    • To continue using Venmo for free, you must switch to bank payments.
    • If you still want to use your credit card, you can set it as your funding source, but you will be charged 3% to cover credit card processing fees.

13. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    the end of venmo gravy train :( So difficult now to raise credit card spending without actually spending the money.

14. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you read the t&c it seems that the first 500 are still free like APS but now you must enroll a bank account to your venmo account.

15. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    so so sad about the credit cards. que sera sera

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the first $500 for the LIFETIME of the account. So if you've already used $500, Venmo with CC ends 04/30/2012.

What a shame ... I was actually beginning to use it for legitimate uses. Had a friend pay me for $85, and used it to pay my ma $72.

17. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That I didn't know. I have been via my phone so hard to dig further. Thanks for the clarification. This does make it pretty crappy and worse than APS.

18. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah sad to see this is finally over. Was great while it lasted though.

19. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a free payment method it will still work fine — funded from a bank account. It's just the credit card aspect that's going away.