Venmo.com Payment Service

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sharris503, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Million Mile Secrets had a great post today on ways to meet minimum spend requirements. He mentioned a payment service called Venmo. It is join by invite only (or sign up for their waiting list). Is anyone here a member who could send me an invite? Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would appreciate an invite as well!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Daryl Figge

Daryl Figge Active Member

Status Points:
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Daryl.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well between this and paypal and Amazon Payments... I'm not sure that I want that many people having access to my bank account information. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least you can meet the minimum spend on an AMEX without using coins and triggering an FR.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. With Amazon Payments not fully operational in the UK yet I would also appreciate an invite, if available.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand your concerns.

The reality is each check you write has all the information needed to dip into your account (the routing number and account number). Armed with this info, someone could have new checks printed through an independent printer...and could spend for a while. This happened in one of the accounts we were using at the bank we had about $200 million in an account for a few days...then a check (which someone had printed) hit the account ... It was for $75 or so to a grocery store! Our culprit was ultimate arrested. The info on checks can also be used to pay by virtual check online for purchases.

The info on checks really isn't safeguarded in any way. When you mail a check to pay a bill, there is no telling how many hands it will go through. Writing a check, to me, seems more risky then giving your bank info to the paypals of the world.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just do a google search for venmo invite code. A bunch will come up.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. thegasguru

thegasguru Active Member

Status Points:
    A word of caution here. I got suspended by Venmo, for doing the back and forth payment thing like MillionMileSecrets suggested. So have several other of my travel junkie brethren. Plus, Venmo caps you out at $500 a month. For that small a level of spend, it's hardly worth the bother of what you'd have to go through to avoid the account review triggers (ie, multiple bank accounts, pseudonyms, rotating IP addresses, etc)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's true, and I did mention that accounts have been closed by Venmo in my original post. But thanks for reminding us again since we can change tactics based on new information.

I also suggested that a 1-way transfer from, say, A to B via Venmo would arouse less suspicion than 2-way transfers repeatedly back an forth between the same persons.

Consider using Venmo to send payments to your partner or friend, and have your partner or friend send you the money back (if needed) via check instead of using Venmo.

$500 a month may seem small, but may be helpful if you've got multiple sign-on bonuses to meet.

Jimgotkp and jbcarioca like this.
  13. scotty00
    Original Member

scotty00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't actually think that the only way to trigger an Amex FR is with coins. Search through the FT Amex thread and you will find people who have never bought coins and when they started using services like Venmo they had a FR initiated. This is especially the case if the money was to/from a spouse or another person in the household.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm almost sure that FR for me was triggered by using paypal.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. thegasguru

thegasguru Active Member

Status Points:
    What was the final outcome of your FR? Did you account get closed, or did you get a slap on the wrist?

(I'm asking for a friend....;))

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use Venmo one way, and Amazon payments the other way. Make it an odd amount, and put the memo as rent or car payment. You'll both get miles, and you won't get shut down.

17. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How would AMEX know if the money transfer is to a spouse or member of the same household? It shows up on the bill as Venmo.com or Paypal.com.

18. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Much better (and less discoverable) than transferring the maximum possible amount from A to B, and then a few minutes later transferring the amount back from B to A!

The only downside is that Venmo has a limit of $500, but Amazon Payments has a limit of $1000 fee-free per month.

19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    6,000 miles a year plus float. Still not bad.

20. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I closed my accounts before they did :)

thegasguru likes this.
  21. scotty00
    Original Member

scotty00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember the specifics of the FT thread on how they did it, but Amex was taking very unkindly to sending money to household members/spouses via paypal, amazon, etc.

22. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I imagine if they found out about it they would, I'm just trying to figure out how they would know who you are transferring money to. I suppose if you were both using a credit card and sending money to each other so both could rack up miles they could probably figure it out, that is pretty flagrant though. Absent that your guess is as good as mine. I suspect if you limit your use to help you meet the minimum spend requirement and not use it to rack up miles you should fly under the radar.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the person 'purchased' something from someone who was an authorized user on the same card. If you really want to send up a red flag, that is probably a good start.

viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How would Amex knowvthe seller's name?

25. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    PayPal lists the seller's ID and phone number in the charge.
    E.g.: 04/29/2011 Fri PAYPAL ****************** 111222333 CA - Where ******************** is the ID, 111222333 is the phone number, and it is followed by the State.