Venice - Boscolo Venezia AC (Marriott) vs. The Westin Europa (SPG)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by SuperKirby, Feb 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any advice versus these two? In terms of location (being close to all the action), which is better? I've never been to Venice. Any advice about location or the hotel itself is appreciated. TIA.

Boscolo Venezia AC (Marriott):
    Fond. Madonna dell'Orto, 3500
    30121 Calle Larga Piave Venezia
    Italy

The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice (SPG):
    San Marco, 2159
    30124 Venezia
    Italy

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't say anything about the hotels per se, but the Westin is considerably more centrally located in the heart of Venice's main sites.

The only advantage I can see to the Marriott's location is proximity to the train station if you are arriving by train and planning to walk. The Westin is easily accessible by talking the vaperetto from the train station the length of the Grand Canal. (Venice is one of the world's great walking cities, but not with rolling luggage as there are frequent staired bridges to cross) Also, if you prefer to be out of the tourist crowds (to the extent that's possible anywhere in Venice), the Marriott is pretty out of the way.

On location alone I would say the Westin -- no contest.

SuperKirby likes this.
  3. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! SO and I always prefer heart of the city when it's our first time visiting. SPG it is!

4. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, also, I have SPG Gold, would I have any pull with a "View Room"? Or because it's so touristy that my chances are slim?

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No idea. I have SPG "get out of my face you louse" status. Last time we were in Venice we stayed in Ca' Angeli.

When are you going?

SuperKirby likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The chances of a SPG Gold getting a Grand Canal view ( the only view worth in ever having here) at the E & R are pretty slim. I have stayed here as a Plat three times and got an upper floor room with a fantastic view right across from Santa Maria della Salute in early March on one stay, the other two stays later in the year .. no view. This is nice hotel but its by no means cheap.. continental breakfast which consists of coffee, a pastry and perhaps two croissants will set you back 32 euro.
    That said its a very short walk to Piazza San Marco and all the sites tourists will want to see in Venice.

Even the walk from the vaporetto stop can be a bit off putting if you are hauling suitcases though throngs of tourists. I would very highly recommend you splurge a bit and take a water-taxi ( 60+ euros from Pz Roma but its a wonderful way to enter Venice) which will drop you right at the hotels dock.

Venice as you will find is very expensive. Completely avoid all restaurants within a few blocks of San Marco besides being exorbitant (there is one famous café which adds 6 euros to even your coffee bill if the piano-player was at the keyboard:)) the food is often awful. The quality and prices improve the further away you travel from the square.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    ariosto, anileze and SuperKirby like this.
  7. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, @newbluesea. I will definitely take all of that into consideration.

@LarryInNYC, I am going second week of April.

8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love staying in Lido, much quieter than rest of the islands.

Newscience and SuperKirby like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a question peripherally related to the OP: what are the best times (months) to visit Venice? It's been many years since I visited the city of canals, and it would be great to return with my better half before it sinks into the Mediterranean Sea! ;)

SuperKirby likes this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the best time weather and crowd wise (my own biased view) is after schools and colleges reopen - i.e Fall. Late-Sept-Early October. One year, when I was there in late spring - It rained everyday :(

Newscience and SuperKirby like this.
  11. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea when the best time is. I have to go early April because that's when my other friends are free.

Newscience likes this.
  12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    April is a good time to go is not too crowded and St Mark only got flooded once when I was there in late March but it snowed a few days before we got there .:)

SuperKirby likes this.