Vegetarian Meal in First Class?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Jason, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm travelling with my mother who's a vegetarian on a 1st class flight from DC to Seattle and then on to Honululu. Do you know if there's a vegetarian option available on board or if we'd need to arrange something ahead of time?

Thanks!

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alaska Airlines does not have special meals, whatsoever, in any class, ever. You will have to bring something onboard. One of the for-purchase snack boxes from the main cabin may be vegan, I think, and if you want one, you will probably have to pay. It will be wholly insufficient for a DCA/SEA/HNL itinerary. I wish I had better news for you.

The only possibility of anything else is that if the hot buy on board option from the main cabin has leftovers, they'll serve it to her up front (after everyone else is served). They usually have a meat component.

3. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like BPS said, no special meal requests on AS.

Alaska's motto: underpromise and...underdeliver.

Ouch, that was perhaps a bit harsh. :oops:

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's a meal choice in FC, will one of the options be vegetarian (not vegan)? Or will an option necessarily be fish rather than meat?

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. I won't say always no, because I am not on every flight, but it will often be pork or chicken, chicken or beef, sometimes fish or beef/pork. Even the salad-type item often contains an animal protein on the plate.

I have never had duck on Alaska Airlines.

Golfingboy and jackal like this.
  6. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Food with eyes is always better. ;)
    Usually there are two menu options...one usually isn't full of formerly cute animals. If you get a good FA, they'll be able to conjure up something....but bring your sprouts and oat bars along, just in case.

7. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When she's at SEA on her layover, there's Anthony's Restaurant in the central shopping area (between the B and C gates) where she can get a seafood meal:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/anthonys-restaurant-and-fish-bar-seattle

8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then try to be North of Expected!

jackal likes this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was "Alaska Airlines, For the Same Price, We Don't Suck As Much"

jackal likes this.
  10. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info guys. Maybe I'll just try to talk my mom into trying the steak :) We'll figure something out. It's disappointing that when paying for 1st class you can't get a simple salad or something though. Thanks!

11. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully, you will have the pesto tortellini salad on your DC to Seattle flight... It is a rather filling salad and you can trade your salad for your mom's entree ;)

IME, most of the time the salad course does not have protein on transcontinental flights, but I am not too sure about the Hawaii flights...

Nonetheless, I would still bring something onboard to be safe...

12. brad

brad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the special food Alaska DOES have aboard virtually every flight: the Mediterranean Tapas Picnic Pack. This snack pack is not complimentary in coach or first, but can be purchased for $6. The FA's are also not supposed to comp picnic packs, so don't expect to decline your complimentary first meal and snag a Picnic Pack instead. You can find details of the contents of this and other food for sale on the Coach Food & Beverage page.

[​IMG]

13. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had shrimp in my salad to Hawaii before.

14. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, we're back from our trip. No vegetarian meals and the did ask her to pay for a snack from coach. I sent in feedback to customer service (great service overall, but disappointed in the lack of vegetarian option). They apologized for it, but explained the couldn't comp coach snacks because they'd waste first class food and run out of coach products (I'd think they could pre-order for special needs if they really wanted to, but whatever). Surprisingly, they gave us 5 coupon codes (1 for each of us) for $50 each, which I thought was generous.

15. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coach food should be a free option for F or MVPG/75k in coach IMHO. As a counterpoint, I'm also an AA elite (EXP) and they started giving us EXPs anything you want from the coach food bin (as well as a comped drink like AS). I appreciate knowing that I will never go hungry (or thirsty) even if my upgrade doesn't clear (which comparatively never happens).

Plus Alaska shouldn't run out of the coach food offerings because a lot of their food/menu is shelf stable so they can have extras onboard.

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smoked salmon lasts forever.