Vegas on the Cheap

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Captain Oveur, Jun 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's gonna be hot, but I'm going to Vegas for a few days in a couple of weeks.

Thinking about seeing a couple of shows, Penn & Teller and Jersey Boys.

I'll be going by myself. I'm very frugal when it comes to well...everything. Any ideas on getting cheap tickets to those shows? buy in advance? Day of show? Vegas.com gift cards through Costco?

wrxmom likes this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are Summer of Cirque discounts where you can see many of the Cirque shoes for $55. Of course, you didn't list those, but just in case you were interested in seeing a Cirque show at a discount off the regular price. ;)

kw335 likes this.
  3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me know what you think of the show - we're going to Vegas too and I really want to see Jersey Boys. :)

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Went to Vegas.

First, now I know why this is the offseason. It's hot. Official thermometer is likely somewhere in an open area, like at McCarran, but when that says it's about 107, it feels hotter on The Strip with the somewhat confined areas and all the exhaust from the vehicles.

As for the tickets, I ended up going to Tix4Tonight, a place with several locations on The Strip. Had two options for tickets for Jersey Boys, one was for about $160 (regularly $240) or $110 for tickets normally about $165. I went for the latter....and very glad I did.

First, I went to the second Saturday night show, 9:30. The theater was barely 1/3rd full....kind of surprising and sad. Since I was a single ticket, I got seats about seven rows from the stage, center section, just off to the right. For what it's worth, the two seats next to me were empty.

How Tix4Tonight works is that you buy a voucher from them, then you have to go to the actual theater to get the actual ticket (both stops require photo ID). When I signed for the ticket at the box office, I got to see what Tix4Tonight paid for the ticket (the broker rate), which was $89.25. So they made $20 off of me, I'm alright with that.

Final note about Tix4Tonight.....they operate a little like used car salesmen, trying to sell you dinner packages and everything else. But it's fairly easy to fend off and just say "no."

As for the show, I liked it. A few people at blackjack tables told me that it's great the first two-thirds of the show, then kind of loses steam towards the end. They were right.

Reason being is twofold: The first two-thirds is heavy on the music, so there's a good pace to it. Good storyline too, let's not forget about that. The last third has a good storyline, but not as much music, and the subject matter is a little more serious than the first part. That's what drags the pace down a little bit.

Overall: recommend seeing Jersey Boys.

Saw Penn & Teller too. $90 ticket for $60 from T4T. Again, single, so I got an aisle seat, center section, about 10 rows from the front. Enjoyed that show too.

If you go to The Rio for the show or for anything else, remember there's a free shuttle from Bally's right off Flamingo St. Runs every 30 minutes (sometimes faster), but often fills to capacity, and there are no standees allowed.

Hope this helps.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.