Vegans: How do you eat on the road

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by misman, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    For health reasons, Mrs. misman is heading toward a vegan diet. We currently don't travel a lot, and most of it has become by car due to aforementioned health reasons, but we do travel some. My question is... how in the heck do you eat on the road?

I've done some searches on the 'net, but am looking for more personal experiences.

Please share.

Horse, miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    In five years as a vegan I was traveling globally almost every week. I never had a problem anywhere nut often have had to explain. Oddly, steakhouses are always easy. They have great vegetable options almost anywhere in the western hemisphere. India is a breeze because several major religions are vegan. No place in Asia presented a problem except Korea where vegetarian restaurants are, it seems, ones that serve vegetables with the meat. Some places can be a challenge. brazil, Argentina and Chile all present a little challenge because people are usually hardened carnivores, but there are vegan restaurants and nearly all restaurants can be convinced to prepare a vegan option.

When flying the meal code is VGML. That works except for breakfast, which usually comes with milk on most carriers, despite the code. Fast food is hard to do because there is usually animal content somewhere in the preparation.

On balance I have had very few problems. A couple years ago I ceased being a vegan, but I am thinking of returning to it. Everything tastes better and it is so much lighter too, that I just prefer it. I do have a slight battle domestically on that issue so I have not pushed the point.

Horse and miles and smiles like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been vegan for 20 or so years, and vegetarian for nearly 40 years. It was a lot harder years ago than it is now. Whenever I go out of town, part of my preparation for a trip, be it one day or many, is to research the closest natural foods stores. And one of my priorities in choosing a hotel room is to find one with a frig, so I can store some of what I find in a natural foods store. When eating out it's generally easier to find vegan food in Asian restaurants, especially Thai. There also are good websites with info on vegetarian/vegan restaurants like:
    http://www.happycow.net/browse.html

Horse likes this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the US, we can just ask our GPS where the nearest Whole Foods Market is. There are always options there, including hot items. Even in small towns, there are often grocery stores with salad bars, and one can pick up some things from there if they don't have an in-store place to eat.

miles and smiles and Horse like this.