VDB out of Carlsbad

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Jul 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a flight out of there next week, and I'm thinking if the sold-out situation doesn't do it, then a weight issue might be in play.

Anybody have any experience VDBing out of Carlsbad? Do they bus anyone to LAX or SAN? The next three flights are sold out after mine, wondering what other options they might do.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likely they'll ship you on a bus/taxi, but if you have never made the flight it is a lot of fun.

bez7, Golfingboy and nieder2 like this.
  3. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've taken 2 LAX-CLD, both times the flight were reported as oversold by several seats. I got on the volunteer list both times and ended up flying out on a half full plane. It seems that misconnects or walkaways must be common

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate the video, WA. I've done the flight a few times, and it is indeed a nice view.

Nieder2, been in that situation a couple times of times before as well. But this is out of CLD, thus no connection issues.

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another upside of making the flight to CLD is the Karl Strauss location just down the road on Palomar Airport Blvd. [​IMG]

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that for weight and balance conditions or on small aircraft, the usual IDB rules don't apply. As a result, VDB offers might be less generous.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up. I think I've got enough status to avoid the IDB.

CLD doesn't use any of the strip-search machines, a big reason why I like flying out of there. But if I end up going to SAN or LAX, they have them there. No way I'm going to risk my connection at LAX and be forced to go through one of those machines.

8. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA always compensates with VDB comp in IDB situations where IDB comp is not required.

Since UA also uses a flat compensation standard for VDBs, there's not need to worry -- it's the same comp regardless of why they're bumping people.

9. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    What happened?

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The VDB situation never happened; some no-shows, and the plane flew at 25 people.

11. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I finally scored one yesterday. Was scheduled on 6338 at 4:04 pm to SAN. Flew out on 5398 to CLD at 4:36 with a smile and $400 in vouchers