vBulletin password hack

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Nov 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This forum runs on xenforo, not vBulletin. However, many of us are active on other boards around the web that do run on vB, so I just wanted to make you aware of this. As the article points out, there are different interpretations of the weakness, as to whether it is a flaw in vB or in individual moderators carelessness. So, make your own judgement, but changing passwords periodically isn't a bad idea in any case.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/11/vbulletin-breach-prompts-password-reset/

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    On FlyerTalk we did occasionally have hacked account problems but always they were the result of a single Board member/Moderator/Member who did not use very sound personal practices for protecting their own account passwords. We do use Xenforo for several reasons and a more active security protocol is just one of them. Can't argue with your advice to others to update passwords from time to time.

Upon reading the article, I was more interested in the "Bitcoin" part. Thinking, while a growing currency idea, chances are here we're rather be interested in using plastic that earns miles. So until someone posts up a Bitcoin version of Presidential Coins, I guess we won't be considered cool to this new currency concept (winky, winky).

Gargoyle likes this.