VATICAN CITY - Trip Report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Nov 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    tom911, Bonnie, cennas and 3 others like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice report 744 !

I thought it was funny as the tour guides made sure to point out on the nave floor of St Peter's, the marks showing how much smaller the other cathedrals of the world are.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We didnt have the benefit of a guide unfortunately. We bought a couple of books that I need to read to understand what I saw! :)

General_Flyer likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent a good 30 minutes in the Vatican dedicated to trying to find a passport stamp with no luck!
    The guided tour was very good and allowed us to cut the ridiculously long line that circled almost the whole country...lol

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it would have been "legal" to get the vatican's post office just to put a stamp on one of your visa boxes in your passport, and then cancel the stamp. Wonder what the state department would think if passports became stamp albums....

General_Flyer and MLW20 like this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I asked and they refused to! The post office is in a trailer and they sell all different touristy stamps and crap inside.
    I've had unofficial stamps added to my passport over the years and never had a problem. I even had one put in from the UN Post Office in NY.
    Also if you visit a site like the Statue of Liberty- they have about 2-3 passport stamps to put into a passport for a souvenir. (I did not get that one) lol

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought the trailer post office was funny considering the context in which it was sitting....you one, one of the most holiest places in the world and theres a post office in a trailer.

I didnt realize that stamps in passports were OK. When I lived in NY, I used to commute on the SI ferry everyday. took the statue for granted since I saw it twice a day.

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yea they don't care about the stamps. The gov prob figures that you will run out of pages quicker and then need to pay for extension pages!

I never had much interest in visiting the Statue of Liberty until I read that they were closing the crown for a year or so. I decided then that I should go check it out.
    I wrote about it here- http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2011/10/visit-to-crown-of-statue-of-liberty.html

9. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the TR, Not sure if you had time to visit other magnificent churches in Rome like Basilica of St. John Lateran, I mention this because the just theist past summer the Vatican a lends out tourists iPods which you has self guided tours on them, they are trying it out at St. John's first and then rolling out at various sites.

10. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oy.. And to think I'd be celebrating christmas mass there.. Wonder how many hundreds of thousands of people will be there....

spesalvi and cennas like this.
  11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We did visit several other churches and catacombs. I still have the Rome TR to write up. Just a ton of pictures I have to sort through and get my facts straight first!

spesalvi and General_Flyer like this.
  12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are quieter and less crowded places that you could be, but I suspect it'll be a memory worth having.

13. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True.. And therefore I need extra security on stuff coz you never know who's next to you in the crowd.. My sister wanted it so badly and I think It'll be a once in a lifetime experience.. :)

By once in a lifetime is that then we'll learn how crowded it can be and how exhausting it is.. Hence we'll try and avoid it, or at least I will try..

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  14. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice trip report, 744! Thanks :)

15. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that would be some experience! I've done 2 Sunday masses at the Vatican, and even though they were only 'regular' masses, the experience lasted for a lifetime!

What language the Christmas mass will be delivered in? Italian or English?

16. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most likely in Italian.. But perhaps there's an english text.

Lufthansa Flyer and cennas like this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If its anything like the Papal audience, he may deliver certain parts in multiple languages. He must have covered 6 or 7 languages when we were at the audience

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  18. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh wow, how awesome! I will look for you on tv :p

19. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He really has an impressive array of languages. Maybe we'll have the luxury of that too! :)

Look for the guy who looks like chicken without a head.. :p

cennas and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  20. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been there for a couple beatification ceremonies over the years, both indoors and outdoors, which do bring out the crowds. One of those was a Polish saint and thousands had come in from bus by Poland. I stayed in convent accommodations and the nuns there seemed to have tickets for everything from weekly audiences to the beatifications (that particular one is closed now and has been converted to a B&B--it was an 8 min walk to the front steps of St Peters). The first time I ever saw a Pope was at Yankee Stadium (Paul VI) and I still remember that.

I also walked into the Scavi office, which is beyond the Swiss Guards on the left side of the front steps, and set up the same below-ground tour that the 744 talks about. We had a Dutch historian lead ours. They called me back and set something up about 2 days later.

21. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great report. The highlight of my time in Rome a few years ago was the day we spent in Vatican City. I am not Catholic, but it was awe inspiring seeing all the things I have read about and learned about. We had the most amazing tour guide (my friend who I went with and I are not tour people at all...).

Your pics made me go back and look at mine.

Great series of reports of your trip. Thanks for posting. Makes me want to go back to Rome. :)