VAT refunds for hotel stays in EU

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jonspencer, Mar 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    does anyone have any experience with this?

I might not bother but I am paying quadruple the normal rate because of the big lighting show + exhibition in Frankfurt this week

no problem to get at other hotels but my present hotel is not offering me this service :eek:

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless one is on a business trip, one cannot get a VAT refund for a hotel stay. VAT refunds are generally for personal goods that are purchased for exportation. You cannot take your hotel room out of Germany or EU so no VAT refund. If you buy a shirt and wear it before leaving EU, no VAT refund!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    of course I am here on business, I am not on a beach holiday in Frankfurt during March :cool:

I know exactly how the VAT refunds work when you are offered the paperwork and I have claimed expensive dinner party bills before too

I wanted to know how to DIY the demand hotel produce the documents needed for refund

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't tell from your OP. Some folks may prefer eating sausages and drinking lager at the square in FRA to being on a beach holiday...;)

Anyway, as a business, you just need to find out if you are or need to be VAT-registered. That may be the condition for businesses to claim a VAT refund. Good luck!

5. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now you have landed in serious red tape. It is possible for non-EU business to get the VAT refunded for hotel stays and other services, but it can last up to two years until you get the money back. Every member state has their own VAT rates and with that the rules for these taxes varies from member state to member state. Hence you have to apply for refund in the country you have paid this VAT. There are clear deadlines for when you can apply, like VAT collected in 2013 the deadline is usually the first months 2014 (you have to check this deadline for each country). This application is then processed, and you may end up with a refund late 2014. Now you have to balance what you spend in time and money to follow up this application with what may get in refund (this application can be rejected for a variety of reasons). My controller down the hall says he has given up this type of refund and balance it all as expences. Remember in Germany hotel bills have a reduced VAT rate of 7% (VAT = $33 of $500 bill).

6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    thank you for the feedback on your actual experience

my bill for the hotel is 1200 Euros for 3 nights, so I had to check it out but in the end probably not worth the trouble

I will however get the refund for a couple pieces of Rimowa luggage I bought :D