Various transatlantic aircraftsL How to J seats/cabins rank?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, May 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to arrange an ward to India at a time when availability is tight. So looking at everything offered by AA and partners. How do the J cabins in various aircrafts rank for an 8-10 hour flight. (If possible, I hope to avoid BA. Other than that, I'd just pick comfort.)

2. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want flat seats, it would have to be BA. Finnair has a new Business Class but I think there are only 2 aircraft with the new seats.
    CX may not be an option and even then you may get a regional C product to India from HKG.
    Iberia service was great, seat is angled flat similar to AA, but with more pitch. AA is better in 777 and 757, the 763s would be my last choice. I also did Royal Jordanian and their product was ok, recliner style seats.
    In the end I would take a C class over Y in any carrier, but all these products are very similar and it may come down to schedule or availability.

sobore and Aktchi like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It really depends on where in India you want to go and where you're starting from. Many people think BA is the best option to India but since EY was added as an AA partner they actually offer more destinations, and 9W is still available for redemption.

AA partner options to India on a single award:

BA - HYD,DEL, BLR, MAA, BOM
    AY - DEL
    IB - BOM
    RJ - DEL, BOM
    LY - BOM
    GF - DEL, MAA, BOM, COK
    EY - HYD, MAA, DEL, BLR, BOM, COK, CCU, CCJ, TRV, and AMD starting in November.
    9W - Too many to list...

If you are willing to redeem two awards through Asia, you can try:

CX - HYD, DEL, BLR, MAA, BOM
    JL - DEL (with 787 aircraft soon)

Best cabins are probably provided by BA, 9W, CX, and EY. In terms of avoiding excessive fees, most direct routings, and good cabin, I think EY or 9W is your best bet.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious - what don't you like about BA J? It is one of my favorite (favourite) business products.

5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I don't like is YQ surcharges. Otherwise the product is good, and at least in part thanks to the YQ, so is availability. :)

rwoman likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah...you like the product, you just don't like the surcharge on award tickets. That is clear.

I view the surcharge as a tax to assure availability. Different views make a market.

iloveawardtravel likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    YQ is eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeil!! :)

NYBanker and Aktchi like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Availability is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!

I just booked four award tickets for the week between Christmas and New Years from the Gulf back home via LHR. I got four F on one flight, and four J on the other. Pretty darned good.

Aktchi and iloveawardtravel like this.