Variability of W fares?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by genemk2, Nov 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually buy the lowest fare class available, and I know that those fares change a lot over the course of a few months.

But I am in the position where I need to buy a couple itineraries in a W-class fare (one for the ORD DEQM promotion, and another to use some SWUs).

Do the W-fares vary as much as the lower classes? Or are they pretty static? Same would apply for Y/B fares, or any other "higher" fare class.

I ask because I could buy the tickets now, and save me from worrying about it. But if the fare may drop significantly over the next few months, I would wait and see.

Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally they are rather static, but they can change. I don't have history for domestic routes but the history for many international routes can be seen here (pick a city then click the history link next to the route in question). They vary, but usually only at major seasons and it is unlikely that they'll change much for the DEQM bit. For the SWU route, maybe.

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a fare structure expert but it appears that the fares are established as buckets for specific routes and when the fare reaches that bucket, the ticket becomes categorized as as a fare in that bucket.

From what I've seen on domestic routes, the W or above fares tend to follow this behavior and are rather static. I've noticed that when the window gets closer and fares go up, the class of travel moves into the W bucket or even above.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually fares and inventory function somewhat separately from each other.

The airline will typically publish a number of different fares on a route. The fares have different price points and also different rules associated with them, ranging from min/max stay to day of week or seasonal restrictions to refundability and change fees. Here's the list UA currently has published for ORD-SFO round-trip fares:

Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
    Code:
    Flexible Fare Search -- ORD-SFO roundtrp for date range Nov-May on carrier UA -- United Airlines
    Carrier|From |To   |FareBasis |Fare      |Min   |Max       |Adv. Purch|Earliest  |Latest    |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |TA3GS     |USD$ 207  |      |          |3days     |20nov11   |20nov11   |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |SAP1GS    |USD$ 224  |      |          |3days     |          |14mar12   |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |SAU10KS   |USD$ 264  |      |          |10days    |29nov11   |08mar12   |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |WAU10CS   |USD$ 301  |      |          |10days    |          |14dec11   |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |WA10KS    |USD$ 324  |      |          |10days    |29nov11   |08mar12   |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |WA14KN    |USD$ 369  |      |          |14days    |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |VA14KN    |USD$ 426  |      |          |14days    |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |QA14KN    |USD$ 492  |      |          |14days    |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |QA7KN     |USD$ 570  |      |          |7days     |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |HA0CS     |USD$ 590  |      |          |seerules  |24nov11   |25nov11   |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |HA7KN     |USD$ 652  |      |          |7days     |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |UA7KN     |USD$ 746  |      |          |7days     |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |UA0KN     |USD$ 761  |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |UA0KY     |USD$ 814  |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |MA0KY     |USD$ 994  |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |BA0KY     |USD$ 1429 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |YUA       |USD$ 2003 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |HUAUP1    |USD$ 2424 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |HUAUP4D   |USD$ 2737 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |BUAUP4C   |USD$ 2895 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |JUA       |USD$ 3334 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |FUA2F     |USD$ 3354 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |Y         |USD$ 3414 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |J         |USD$ 4952 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |FUA       |USD$ 5538 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    UA     |ORD  |SFO  |F         |USD$ 5870 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |