Varadkar: 'People are sick of strike threats at Aer Lingus'

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by uggboy, May 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Varadkar: 'People are sick of strike threats at Aer Lingus'

sobore and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    sobore and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could be all about cultural differences, plus the reason for the strikes could be different too, while in Ireland they have this strike threat a longer time now, it's all about the big pension black hole and how to fill it, while in Germany it's generally about the workers salary. It's all about understanding what's at stake, this could make a difference too on how a strike threat is perceived. Overall, while it's not in the interest of the passenger or airline that strikes go ahead sometimes, it's equally important that workers are humans too and they only looking for solutions for their problems, and when the companies by themselves seem unable too agree solutions, workers I suppose must go on strike to make their demands heard. Right or wrong, this depends on what's at stake and how a society reacts to such threats in the longer term.

sobore, redtailshark and Newscience like this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Caught between a rock and a hard place... I see Minister Varadkhar doesn't address King Leprechaun on this matter.

uggboy likes this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are, from what I've read.

How do they propose to solve their problems by f****** up the travel plans of however many thousands of people? That's only going to piss people off, and if anything hurt the workers, by causing people to book away from the airline where the workers are threatening to strike, and book with an airline where the workers aren't threatening to pull crap like this. I sure as hell am not likely to book with an airline whose workers are going to f*** up my travel plans. But looking at the big picture is not something unions are good at.

No, they don't have to strike to make their demands heard. They just have to get the story in the media. Having your demands heard and getting the outcome you want are totally different things.

Newscience likes this.