Vanilla Reload

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Laurenseana, Oct 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Laurenseana

Laurenseana Member

Status Points:
    I have been on the search looking for a place where they sell Vanilla Reload cards and will take my credit card. I live in NYC and I heard 7/11 or CVS but no such luck. They all want cash. Anyone know a different way around this?

2. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have had this problem myself but from what i have heard there are only a few CVS in New yourk that actually accept CC for payment. hopefully you have a few more cvs nearby you can try.

3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    From the comments I have heard and read the most about, if this is part of your strategies, the absolute best thing to do is read The Frequent Miler blog. Seems that blogger specializes in Vanilla Reloads and many other related topics. He's also a good source to ask direct questions to, very good guy. Read his blog HERE.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Traveling Momma and bigx0 like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cvs on Lex in the low 50s takes CCs.

5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    i will have to check. I don't feel like trekking to FiDi since my NY banker is near there and work nearby. Thanks for the tip. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

viguera likes this.
  6. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in NYC, and whenever there are VRs in stock at a CVS, they accept credit cards. Some of the stores keep them behind the counter, so it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've found that they usually limit you to $1000 (even after the buzz that they accept $5,000).

Muerl and viguera like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One has to wonder how many dollars get lost in the shuffle.

Lot of GC get lost...and a lot of MF get lost when the CC companies cuts you lose.

Most of us have more point than we can ever use, flipping cards.

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back on Nov 27th View from the Wing reported that Duane Reed, whatever that is, was accepting credit cards for Vanilla Reloads. Looks like that may have been a glitch from the followup comments though.

9. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to travel more. :)
    Even with flipping cards, the miles trickle in, in tens of thousands, and with international award travel in premium class, they go out by hundreds of thousands. Add to that the need for hotel points for free stays and you get the picture. The recent and upcoming points/miles devaluations are adding to my traveling woes. So, no, I don't have more than 'what I could ever use'.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have plenty of miles and hotel points at the moment and don't plan on new credit cards any time soon. The challenge has historically been the need/desire to maintain status and to find award flights with limited flexibility in my schedule.

11. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Retirees have no status but unlimited flexibility. So, the challenge is to flip as many cards as I can with the rather sizable minimum spends required. Once the miles/points become available, several trips can be lined up for the whole year based on seat availability - window to your future. Paris was all lit up and looking festive last week and the crooks/pickpockets taking the winter off made the Marseilles trip a more pleasant one. Kept looking for 'Fanny', but she was nowhere to be found.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  12. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know a store in San Francisco that has any? The cvs on California where I can use cc has been out for weeks.

13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The CVS near me that I used to hit up and always had lots is suddenly out. Not sure if that's ominous or what.

14. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone else found your stash?

My "usual" will have none for days and then be flush for a few days. I think the other people who hit it are like me and have card cycles close to the end of the month, so we all hit it the last 10 days or so, earlier in the month there are usually loads.

Keep debating leaving them note "Muerl says hi!"