Value of AGR points

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by Mark Schroeder, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mark Schroeder

Mark Schroeder Active Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know if there is a standard value for AGR points?

I am thinking you could value them by the cost of buying them straight out: .0275 each, or the number of points divided by the price of a ticket, but didn't know if there was another way.

Thanks

2. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't a standard value. Amtrak prices tickets based on availability. When the first X number of seats or rooms on a train or sold, the price goes up. Thus you can get better "value" the closer it is to your expected departure, but you may get caught without any availability on the train. S+ status members can purchase on sold out trains but I hear it's +80% points to do so.

Having said that, depending on the ticket it can be cheaper to buy the points than to pay cash for a ticket. This can happen on longer-distance regional rail trips where it's 1k or 1.5k redemption each way regardless of distance traveled. AGR awards are segment based, while cash trips are based on distance. So 2.75 cents/point isn't a bad baseline valuation but it's best to do # of points divided by cash cost of ticket/room.

Explore and Exiled in Express like this.
  3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can get 2.5 cents/point of value just traveling 75 or 80 miles between the Bay Area and Sacramento, comparing an AAA/NARP discount fare against a 950-point one way redemption leveraging my Chase Amtrak card (5% rebate on redemptions). If the discounted fare is $27 or more, you might as well buy the points - although I get more than enough points from very short-distance travel during bonus season, and from credit card spend.

Using points ( or buying them) is also justified when booking an expensive sleeping car room for one or two zones in peak season. You can often get 3 cents on up to 5 cents value per point.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    redeeming it on NE regional trains are a good value as well. i was thinking about getting a chase sapphire preferred card just to transfer into agr

Exiled in Express likes this.
  5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with AGR points is purchasing at 2.75 cents each and immediately redeeming at 5.5 cents each on the Pacific Cascades route, knowing I would not receive AGR points on the award redemption itself.