$ Value of AAdvantage Gold?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Roaddoggin, Apr 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hardly flew AA or Oneworld last year and now my AA Gold (soft landed from previous year's un-re-qualified platinum) is expired. I'm wondering if I can get $650 or more value out of it to make it worth paying to renew. Thoughts?

2. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    You say you don't fly OneWorld. Airline status means something only if you fly an associated airline. QED.

foxberg likes this.
  3. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    @7Continents Noted. Original question still stands.

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on how much you fly and what your flying preferences are, plus how much you might use the Gold benefits over the next term. If you're looking to cover the cost, calculate future/estimated flights + cost of premium seats in E+ and baggage fees you might incur to get an idea of where you would end up. I personally liked having Gold status and got upgraded more times than I expected, and the bonus mileage is nice. I feel your pain from dropping PLT; I made PLT for this year and don't want to lose it!

Good luck with your decision.

Dozer, Max M, flyforawg and 1 other person like this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think 7Continents' point is, "Not unless you fly One World."

And that, short and sweet, is it: the Gold benefits are obtained by flying. If you fly One World only infrequently, some of the Gold-like benefits (free bag, priority access) can be obtained by carrying the Citi AA credit card, at a much lower cost ($95 annually, I believe).

Max M and MSYgirl like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The value to me is nearly nil. If I were flying enough that it might have value I'd also be at a higher status tier already. But I don't check bags and pre-boarding doesn't do much for me. MCE for free on day of departure is nice but, again, were I flying that much I'd probably be Platinum or EXP.

MX likes this.
  7. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us estimate. If you did fly AA, Gold will let you board a little earlier and choose seats more to your liking. It is difficult to put a monetary value on such things - or to benefit from them without flying. You'll also avoid $25 per checked bag: about 6-7 round trips with 2 checked bags each time to break even with the $650 fee. As noted, you can get some of this with the credit card. All in all, at the asking price, I might be tempted to skip.

8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Avoid! You could use the $650 to spend on other things and the one off MCE seat or bag checked you might choose to buy will give you more flexibility with your money and cost you less as an infrequent flyer.

If you plan on flying OW more often and have an active plan in place to do so, then by all means buy. It does not sound to me like this is the case for you.

Dozer and foxberg like this.
  9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you asking this because your are considering buying Gold status voucher from someone's Business Extra account? Just curious.

10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well with the new AAdvantage changes, Golds now only receive 1 free checked bag instead of 2.

Perhaps not a deal breaker, but another devaluation to Gold status nevertheless.

11. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some benefits you can put a dollar value on, a couple already mentioned.
    - free first checked bag, $25 (but can get this from the credit card)
    - (day of departure) MCE, vs in-advance anywhere from $16 up to $100+
    - waived expedite fees on award tickets, $75
    - free standby, vs $75 same day confirmed.
    - 25% bonus miles @ 2 cpm or whatever you value RDM at.

What all that is worth depends heavily on what you travel plans are for the next year.

Of course, the other risk is that any or all of these benefits may change before the year is up, as the loss of the 2nd checked bag illustrates.