Value of A/C Miles in Dollars

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by avflyer, Jan 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to value A/C miles at around 2.5 cents each. But now, with the ridiculous fuel surcharges I cannot figure a realistic valuation. Any opinions?

YULtide likes this.
  2. len222

len222 Active Member

Status Points:
    I used to value them at about 2 cents each but the surcharges definitely bring that down.

My current answer is "it depends". A couple of recent examples:
    * Used 60K points + $500 for a Europe economy ticket worth about $1300 - value per point = 1.3 cents
    * Used 90K points + $500 for a Europe business ticket worth about $3200 - value per point = 3 cents

YULtide and avflyer like this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used 100K AE miles for YTZ-YUL-ZRH-PEK-SYD-SIN-IST-LIS-EWR-YYZ in business worth $12,000 and paid $275 in fees/taxes: Well over 10¢ an AE mile.

YULtide likes this.
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK...show off. You are going to have to teach me to do this. How long did you get to stay in any of these places?

2MM_Guy and YULtide like this.
  5. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stupid question: Surcharges lower from YTZ?

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't done this trip yet. Will take place in May and spending a week in Australia (Sydney and Canberra) and three days in Lisbon. Only AC sector was YTZ-YUL, the rest were on LX, CA, SQ, TK, TP and CO none of whom levied the surcharge when this booking was made just before Christmas. Part of the reason for the routing was the lack of premium seats across the Pacific as well as finding carriers that still don't levy the fuel surcharge. They are still out there and should be used over AC and those carriers who charge it...but you must be flexible and think outside the box with your routings.