Value Accommodations July 4th and 5th?

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by web1b, Jun 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be in Manhattan Monday through Friday the 7th to the 11th and I have a hotel paid for by work where I can check-in Sunday afternoon and check out the following Saturday morning.
    I decided to fly in to LGA on the evening of the 4th (Friday) so that I will have all day Saturday and Sunday to do a little sight seeing. So, I will be paying for an additional hotel stay for Friday and Saturday out of my pocket.
    Where should I look for a nice, quiet soundproofed, 3 star hotel that will be much less expensive than staying in Manhattan, but is still within less than 1 hour commute into Manhattan? (Queens, Brooklyn, New Jersey, stay near LGA airport)?
    I'm also going to put some bids in on Priceline for hotels under $150 per night.

Newscience likes this.
  2. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    Is the Parc hotel a good choice? I see it listed for $129 per night.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a few blocks from the subway station in Flushing which is end of the line for the 7 train in Queens. The good news is you get a single train ride from there to Times Square (and transfers there or at Grand Central). And there is some fun food to be had in the neighborhood, assuming you like Chinese food.

The main drawback of staying there is the ride takes just under an hour, depending on how often the trains are running and your timing.

I have no idea about the quality of that hotel in particular; I'm mostly speaking to the general neighborhood.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  5. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather not arrive without reservations. I'd like to get something reserved within the next 24 hours.
    Arriving on a holiday without reservations sounds extremely risky.

Wandering Aramean and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree! But, I have "hotel tonight" as a go-to backup app on my smartphone, just in case of emergencies... ;)

7. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    Pod 39 looks kind of interesting for $150 per night in Manhattan, but for a normal sized, modern room, I don't see anything that looks like a better deal than the Parc Hotel. The 1 hour ride into Manhattan is a con, but for only 2 days, I don't think it will be a big deal.
    Looks like there is a Q48 bus line that can take me from LGA to within a block of the Parc Hotel July 4th.
    What can I do with my luggage between the Sunday morning checkout time for the Flushing hotel and the Sunday afternoon hotel check-in time at the Manhattan hotel? I don't think I want to carry it around for hours even though it is only one bag.
    I could hang out at the Parc hotel until the latest noon check out time, take the subway to Manhattan and get there at 1PM, but I would still have to hang out for 2 hours with my bag before the 3PM check-in time at the second hotel.
    I would rather check out at 7 or 8am so I could have all day to sight-see on Sunday and not check into the Manhattan hotel until maybe 6 or 7PM, but I need to put the bag somewhere in between those times.

8. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    I found another hotel for around $150 per night during that period. Any thoughts on Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just drop it at the front desk of the new hotel. No big deal at all.

10. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    The Parc hotel has rates available for that weekend to $116.10 each night through Priceline or $117 directly booking on their site , so that seems a good deal even after adding the extra $22 per night in taxes.