Valid RTW ticket?

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by Dad to GO, Jun 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi I have asked this other places but have gotten no responses. Hoping for better luck here. I'm in the process of researching how I can get rid of our ANA miles in the near future. I believe that the best use would be for us to get 2 RTW business class tickets. We currently have 215K points and this is the routing I was planning.

LAX-ICN-PEK-CDG-LAX with a total miles flown amount of 17,328. I believe that would fall into the ANA round the world that would require us to use 105K miles per ticket.

My questions are...

-Is this a valid routing? It goes strictly one direction so I assume it is.

-What is the easiest way to book? It can't be done online right? If I find availability on each flight I want on the given dates do I just call and spoon feed that to the ANA representative to book?

-Does anyone have any other suggestions of something I need to know?

sendaiben and iolaire like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not an ANA expert, but I think this routing would qualify. I'm fairly certain you'll have to call, but you should be able to see segment availability online.

iolaire and sendaiben like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only hole I see in the plan is that there is no *A flight CDG-LAX so you'l need to connect somewhere en route. As long as that doesn't push you over the 18,000 mile limit you should be OK with the rate you found. Both SFO and FRA are OK as connection points in that regard. And, of course, you need to find the award space.

I'd call it in to book, though the website does offer multi-city itinerary options so you can also try that.

4. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response. I could always go into or out of LHR to LAX/SFO. That last flight is the one that is the most difficult to find availability on.

I've tried their website so many times and it always says I need to call to book. I'm over it. It used to be such a great resource but now their search engine is garbage.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If possible, I wouldnt. LHR taxes are stupid.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do realize that there are some of us who love London and wont go out of the way to "avoid it" in fact I make it a point of duty to include a stop-over that wonderful city if possible on every European trip I undertake.:)
    Secondly I might be naïve but I rather suspect that anyone willing to book a RTW trip might consider the LHR taxes as a relatively insignificant cost in the scheme of things.

edekba likes this.
  7. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I know about the taxes but I'm also thinking of the flights with the most ease. If I can find availability on a *A flight from CDG connect to another European city than I would go that route

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never been to London yet but if you love it then I guess you should make it point to stop there. For anyone who hasn't been I think the tax is a bit ridiculous. On my RTW trip 2 years ago, my taxes and fees came to ~$500 total for 2 people. If I would've done LHR ... that would have easily made the taxes close to $1,000. For me $500 is not insignificant ...

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or go to London first and fly out of somewhere else, avoiding the APD.

It is more pronounced on award tickets than paid fares.

10. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great idea. Do you know if this is a booking where it would make most sense to find the availability in business class segment by segment and then call to spoon feed the reps? Thanks again for the info!

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's how I would do it.

That said, if you go to London first on your planned trip you'll be too far west to leave from CDG to finish the trip. Madrid, Ireland or Portugal (LIS/OPO) are likely the only gateway cities which would work for keeping the RTW whole and avoiding the APD if you are already at London. Of course, they don't have *A flights to the west coast, so...

12. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it looks like the RTW isn't going to happen so I have another possibility but looking for some more input.

Like I said, I have 200K miles. I am now looking to book 2 business class seats with the current routing.

LAX-ICN-PEK-LAX

Since both South Korea and Asia 1 (PEK) are 95K miles round trip in business class I assume this is a valid routing. My only thought is that I may need to go to PEK first and then stop at ICN on the way back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For a round-trip fare it shouldn't matter too much. In this case it will either be an award US-PEK with a stopover in ICN or US-ICN with a stopover in PEK. Both are valid so it doesn't really matter which way they price it.

14. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a ton Wandering Aramean! You've been a lifesaver.

Pizzaman and Wandering Aramean like this.