Valid routing for South Pacific to Middle East

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by wijomas, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you more experienced AAdvantagers can assist me here... is there any reason why AKL-LAX-JFK-LHR-CAI would not be valid as a single South Pacific -> Middle East award? The chart doesn't say you have to do it in a particular direction, AFAIK.

Thanks in advance!

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA does not have a fare for AKL-CAI. QF does, but they restrict routing to within the eastern hemisphere only.

Also, transit via a 3rd region is usually not allowed. I think for this routing, you can transit Asia 2, so Hong Kong and southwest. You would have to connect once in Asia 2 and once in AMM before heading to CAI. A sample routing would be AKL - SYD/HKG - KUL/BKK/HKG - AMM - CAI

wijomas likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, if you want to redeem partner awards between two non-North American regions you cannot connect in North America. They require you use the most direct routing available.

Daemon14 is correct about the need for a published fare by the over water carrier. He's also correct about South Pacific to Middle East/India routes only allowing connections in the Asia 2 region.

Best to look at QF, CX, and RJ to get a route together.

This routing works as a OW award though. You'd receive unlimited stop overs at each city as well. It increases the cost of the award significantly though.

wijomas and rwoman like this.
  4. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. I did think it was a long shot given that South Pacific - Middle East is 30,000 miles and South Pacific - US is 37,500... but had to ask :p