Valid Mileage Plus number showing up as Invalid when adding to reservation

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MSY-MSP, Feb 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our newborn daughter has her own mileage plus number. You have to start them early.

I can log into her account just fine and do all of the normal things that you can do there. I can even book tickets through her account for her and one of us to fly with her.

The problem occurs when trying to add her number to reservations booked through my account or as a traveler on the account. When you go to put in her MP# and hit submit it kicks back "Please enter in a valid MileagePlus Number". I have called reservations on this and they cannot figure out why it won't take and MileagePlus also seems unable to add the number to the reservations or traveler information. Has anyone ever encountered this before and if so any thoughts on a way to fix the problem.

If it matters the MP number is 3 letters and 5 numbers.

storyteller likes this.
  2. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought MP accounts were two letters & 6 numbers (make sure a zero isn't being entered as an "O"). If she doesn't have elite status & there is no discernable benefit to adding it in advance, you might have better luck at the airport.

3. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not all accounts are 2 and 6. There are many 3 and 5 accounts.

The issue is that reservations cannot add it to a reservation. If they cannot I doubt an agent at the airport could

4. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    If she has no miles in her account, I would just try to get a new account for her and see if it works..

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:

6. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Double check her profile on united.com. Verify that the date of birth is correct and that the name is as it appears in the pax record of the reservation. If not, simplest will be to create a new M+ account.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were. With the merged systems UA adjusted the scheme to allow more letters at the beginning to expand the pool of valid numbers available.

Sammich and Steve GadFly like this.