Valentine's day dining - yea or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Lalala, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering if you avoid dining out on the actual day or do you plan a special dinner out with your valentine. Over the last 20 (yeeps) years, we have done various things to celebrate. This year we're going to have Friday lunch at Rovers and beat off the crowds of amorous teenagers and other happy couples. I promise not to tweet, facebook or text about my lunch in real time. (kidding)

2. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I tend to hate "occasion" dining. Kitchens try to design special menus that they can run at minimal plating cost, servers aren't thrilled to be missing their own holiday, and it's crowded full of others having their own celebrations. I'd prefer something a bit more personal and quiet... but I also get to dine out a lot. For some I know, Valentine's is the ONLY time they set foot into nice restaurants so I wouldn't deny them the experience. I kind of think of it as "amateur night" though.

Chamonix likes this.
  3. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congratulations on 20 years!

And slightly OT, but didn't we dine together (with a couple other gals) on Valentine's last year in London? Now that was lovely... and not at all crowded or commercial!

4. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    We did. We need to do that again, but maybe Paris to avoid chickens in the bar.

techgirl likes this.
  5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we're only at 19 years. My memory is fuzzy. 20 in September.

6. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    As is St. Patricks Day and New Years Eve. Two other days restaurants/resorts try to pump up the price for marginal quality and you run into too many drunks. There is a bar a few miles away with decent food but even they were trying to charge $99 per person for NY's eve dinner.

I'm sure I didn't score any points with the GF but I told her other than Christmas I'm just not a holiday person. Judge me by what I do on the 350+ non-holidays and not what I do on the handful of (mostly) made up holidays.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel bad. My Valentines day dinning involves 'Hungry Man'.

Sean likes this.
  8. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    so many restaurants only offer a prie fix menu to maximize turning their tables for valentines day. just seems so not "special" to me. i'd rather have a nice meal at home on valentines day.

9. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    We go out to eat on the day before or after Valentine's. Same with certain holidays.

A few years ago, I was on a dietary restriction (had Dr's note) and went to a nice restaurant on Valentine's night. All they had was a fixed price menu (not their usual wide variety of foods) that was severely overpriced. They only had like 4 choices & would not let me substitute anything to accomodate my dietary restriction. (Note: I rarely impose on people but other restaurants at that time were understanding of my dietary restriction).

We stayed & order one meal for the two of us. My wife & I shared one multi course meal and we both had enough food to each have a meal the next day. We haven't gone back to that restaurant since that meal.

10. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife treats every day as Valentines day or at least expects me to. [​IMG]

11. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see no reason to go to a restaurant on a busy night when I can relax and enjoy the same restaurant any other time.

We'll do something special at home...

12. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ha! I had completely forgotten about chicken guy! We had so many interesting people to watch that I'd forgotten that. I did like the restaurant though... have any good suggestions for me & Pam for next weekend? We'll be looking for a good spot for Saturday night dinner... and possibly a good Sunday lunch joint.

13. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arbutus for dinner and the the River Cafe for lunch, I think it is open for lunch. I love that restaurant. It is in no way inexpensive, but its totally out of the realm of normal zone 1 thinking....

14. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a rule we don't eat out or travel during "holidays". As Yogi Berra said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

15. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    My lunch - one nice glass of rose champagne and one glass of some decent blend out of tuscany, don't ask what, I'm not that much of a wino and I freaking came back to work. KILL ME.

Rover's Friday Lunch.

Ahi Tuna Sashimi, Shaved Cured Foie Gras, Lavosh Bread
    Moulard Duck Confit, Sunchoke Puree, Mache Lettuce, Fig Vinegar Sauce
    Smoked Wagyu Beef, Celery Root Marmalade, Escarole, Pomme Dauphine, Citrus Demi Glace
    Chocolate Praline Bavarian

Holy crap, that confit was awesome, as was the beef and the bavarian. The sashimi, not so much. I think it had to do with BCN and too much fish. Any other month, I would have been quite happy eating it.

www.rovers-seattle.com

16. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    naynaynay. i much prefer some home cooking and not the inflated prices. perhaps it's one of those days eating in would actually cost less than eating out (in hong kong anyway).

17. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never on the day. It's not worth the wait, the crowd, the mediocore menu. Do it on the weekend. Or just stay home and cook.

18. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with the naysayers. Stay home and snuggle on the day and go out
    for a good meal some other time.

19. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are planning to have lunch together on that day. It should be less crowded. The kids have things to do that night so dinner out will not work.

21. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking a nice dinner Sunday night followed by lunch Monday, then I travel Monday night. Prob for the best. I agree with the amateur night comment.

22. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to try a new place (opened months ago) this year that has a reasonably priced fixed dinner (w/choices, and wine paring) and I think is really making an effort to make it a nice evening. Last year (elsewhere) was a disaster -comically so (in a pathetic manner), and such that I actually wrote the management (I don't know if I'd ever done that in such an instance) and they comped an entire meal for 2 w/wine on another occasion. I think this year will be good.

23. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm against it. Would rather have a nice dinner at home, we can make it together. At least in NYC, V-Day dinner can turn into a zoo, with tightly-packed restaurants, jacked up prices, and the feeling of forced consumption hanging in the air.

24. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's an annual event to make dinner at home together. Started 30+ years ago when we couldn't afford to go out. Now it's just good quality fun together. Dinner "creations" get more and more creative. Some years have even been some real flops, but we can laugh about it together. No flowers either.

Lalala likes this.
  25. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nay. I hate crowds, commercialization of holidays, and jacked-up prices just because they can.