Vaccines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Glitch, Jan 10, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    This will be my first time traveling out of the country and was wondering what vaccines id need. The sites I visited all had different answers ranging from just needed a flu shot to a couple others. What sites do you use for your information? Do you have to get vaccinated when you have a layover in another country? for instance I have a layover in Beijing, China for a couple hours on my way to Osaka, Japan. Should I be getting vaccines for China as well?
    Anyone know what vaccines I'd need or should get for Japan?
    How do I bring proof of being vaccinated?

Thanks!

Dublin_rfk, iolaire and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    iolaire and Counsellor like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle post excellent links. If you are still anxious, consult your Primary Healthcare Provider.

If you are in good health and have no allergies, you don't need any vaccinations.

Laptop Nomad and Glitch like this.
  4. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you travel to a African Country you will need Yellow Fever. Some countries will not let you enter if you have been to those countries, and cannot produce proof you had the shot. There is a yellow Public Health card you are given when you get shots for overseas travel. On some trips you may want to look into Malaria pills to take.

iolaire and Counsellor like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I go to a travel medicine clinic once and a while for certain trips and they reference the CDC pages when deciding what shots to give me (and insurance doesn't pay for them).

I would not be vaccinated for layovers in modern airports, i.e. Beijing, I might consider it if I had a long layover in an at risk country at a small airport. For example lets say I was flying to England via some small Brazilian airports built in the 1960's and thus are open air (if such a thing exists) to bulk up on miles I might look at the risk factors for misquote bites in the open air. But otherwise most modern airports are fairly clean and safe seeming.

Dublin_rfk, Laptop Nomad and Glitch like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always relied on the State Department site for information on required shots.

I have to respectfully disagree with the comment that "If you are in good health and have no allergies, you don't need any vaccinations." While you may be resistant to the diseases in your home locality, when you travel you come in contact with diseases you don't have immunity to, or diseases such as malaria that are transmitted by a vector it is difficult to avoid.

I remember some Marines who were sent on temporary duty for a few days to an area in Africa where malaria was present who thought that since they were in excellent physical health and condition, and since it was only for a short period, they didn't need to take the prophylaxis. They were wrong, and a couple had a very uncomfortable time when they returned and came down with it.

And, as was pointed out earlier, there are some countries that require you to prove you have had certain vaccinations or you will be refused entry.

In general, I'd rather have a shot it turned out I didn't need, than not have a shot that I did need.

Laptop Nomad, Dublin_rfk and iolaire like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all African countries require yellow fever vaccinations. Not all African countries are yellow fever zones.

Yes on all of this.

9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not aware of any vaccines being required for Japan.
    Once apon a time a long long time ago. The was an item called a shot card that could reside in the back of your passport. I'm sure that when you receive your vaccination they should have a card / stamp for it.

Laptop Nomad, anileze and Counsellor like this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember the yellow booklet (the first stamp in it was in 1969 for smallpox) and the white card, but I haven't had any such thing for years now. The latest stamp I have was in the yellow booklet in 2003 for vaccination against yellow fever.

I still carry the Certificate, though. Not sure why -- the yellow fever shot was only good for ten years.

Laptop Nomad, Dublin_rfk and anileze like this.
  11. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got a yellow fever shot last year when the client was paying for any vaccine's one might need. She stamped the Yellow booklet. I have never seen or heard of the white card Counsellor was talking about. I suspect the yellow certificate is still given out, as the nurse said she was glad that I brought mine.

Counsellor and Dublin_rfk like this.