Vacation Blues?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by edekba, Jan 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there such a term or a disease for this? If so I feel as if I am 100% affected.

I just got back from a wonderful, albeit busy 2 week vacation in asia. First day after I got back home, I went to work (Monday). Waking up, the first thing that came over me was disappointment that it was so damn cold (In BKK it was avg temp of 90 ... when I woke up it was 40). Secondly and most importantly I feel kinda sad and depressed that I am not in a hotel, in some location where I don't have to worry about what is to come when I walk into the office.

Then I feel somewhat disappointed that I was only 2 weeks removed from reality that I was already adjusted to it and now that I am home it is sort of like a giant slap to the face, "Hey wake up silly!" Add to the fact that the remainder of the year my vacation days left for this year is about 1 week only.

I know this post is silly and most of the disappointing probably stems from my employment offering wacky vacation policies and work related activities are overwhelming, but does anyone else ever come back from vacation thinking ... "hey that was way too short."

Is the only cure taking another vacation? If so that seems like a deadly cycle ... taking a vacation, dreading to come back while dreaming/planning the next one so that you can won't have to think about coming back to reality after a nice vacation?

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this too. :)

edekba likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ever? Always!

edekba and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto +1 :)

edekba likes this.
  5. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was totally feeling the vacation blues after my weekend trip to Cleveland. It kind of sank in on Sunday, when I came back, looked around, and realized "Yep. I'm back home. Now what?"

If anyone has a cure - even something as simple as looking at pretty pictures - I'm all ears.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow great post. I had no idea so many feel that way. I usually feel the opposite. I love my adventures, but always happy and relieved to return home. Living in hotels for more than a few weeks makes me anxious and unsettled.

Actually I do recall being unhappy about my life a few times, and had to engineer serious changes to fix that.

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I do agree that living out of hotels for a while can make you feel anxious & unsettled, but I believe, for me at least that coming back to real life just sucks. I do feel as if I need to engineer some serious changes in the work environment so that I don't dread coming back so much

8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's likely more work than vacation planning, but don't let the magnitude of the task freeze you into inaction.

JoeCortez and edekba like this.
  9. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    I return from vacation with an epic battle raging inside of me: the desire to not return to reality with the realization that I have to do it eventually.