VA ticket changed to DL ticket - changes earning?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jaw_24, Sep 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a Spring 2015 ticket with VA ticket number specifically to earn distance-based DL miles. The trip had US domestic DL flights (which would be revenue based), but the rest of the segments were VA-operated. A month ago, DL had a schedule change on their segments, but VA just updated the itin as expected.
    Then just this past week, I received a confirmation e-mail from DL that looks like a completely new booking with the changed flights AND DL ticket number (006...)! From the e-mail:

"Ticket Number:

Org Tkt 795..."

Is this normal to transfer tickets between carriers?
    Does this mean I no longer earn distance-based DL miles on the VA operated flights?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would this be the Brisbane flight? If so, it's supposed to be operated by DL in the future as part of the JV with VA.

3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Inbound, yes, but LAX-SYD on outbound.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried to call DL, assuming that you purchased the ticket from DL directly, to request changes? You should be able to easily go back to the VA LAX-SYD flight. For the return, would starting from either SYD or MEL work for you? Otherwise, ask for a VA connection from Brisbane to SYD or MEL, plan for the hassle of changing terminals from domestic to international, and then a VA flight to LAX.

According to DOT rules, assuming that the ticket originates and was purchased in the USA, you should also be able to cancel the ticket without penalty since the operating carrier has changed.

5. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    None of my long-haul flights have changed - they are all still VA (currently). What has changed is that the entire itin was originally a VA ticket is now a DL ticket - so the operating carrier hasn't changed, just the ticketing carrier.

The reason this is so bad (it would seem) is that I now earn Skymiles based on the ticket price and not miles flown - which is the reason why I booked on VA stock in the first place. It almost seems like DL is trying to catch these 'workarounds', otherwise why would VA transfer the ticket to DL?

Now, there was a schedule change on the DL domestic flights that could allow me to cancel, but the sale fare was cheap and I can't rebook at a similar price.