UsingMiles.com moves out of invite-only Beta!

Discussion in 'UsingMiles' started by UsingMiles, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UsingMiles

UsingMiles Z Representative

Status Points:
    Howdy, frequent flyers! We think it makes sense to officially announce this happy news in the "place where frequent flyers meet." Milepoint, we like your tag line.

Drum roll please......

UsingMiles.com has removed the invite-only protected site and we are now open for everyone to use! Simply go to www.UsingMiles.com and sign up for FREE right now.

So what is UsingMiles.com? Our site was created to help frequent flyers manage and use their miles and points. Our centralized dashboard manages all of your airline and hotel loyalty points in one place (credit cards and car rentals are coming soon).

We are also the first website that helps you find regular cash fares AND award fares at the same time. Simply enter your search criteria and we will search thousands of sites to find the lowest cash fares as well as any award fares that are available in your programs! Then we connect you directly with the supplier to book. Can you say time-saver?

Please check out the site and let us know what you think! We're moving fast but we listen well (at least some of us do). It is our mission to make UsingMiles.com your best tool for earning, managing, and burning frequent flyer miles and points.

Happy Travels!
    Krista Paul & the UM team

2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    signed up, thanks!

3. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to try your search without registering?

4. Tom1024
    Original Member

Tom1024 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad it doesn't work. Not only are you not showing AA flights, but there are no award flights listed for either AA nor UA as I get the messages Hold tight, there is a connection issue with American Airlines AAdvantage and Hold tight, there is a connection issue with United Mileage Plus. Seriously?

5. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you explain what the status points are?

6. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    For now you must be a registered user to search. Eventually we will open up cash search to all users but you will have to be registered for award search. Thanks!

7. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    Hey Tom,
    We're on it! We just has a large release and some of our airline connectors are still buggy. After we iron out these minor fixes it will be a lot more stable. Thanks for your patience. I will let you know when they are fixed. Please feel free to email me at k.paul (at )usingmiles (dot) com with any other questions.

8. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just tried to register after reading the FAQ. I would have like to be able to see what programs are available in the FAQ before registering, as it turns out none of my programs (SK, AY, OK) where available..

9. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    Hello Gnopps - We are reworking our FAQs currently to tie them into a Knowledgebase with more details. It's a great idea to have us list the available programs there. Thanks for the suggestion!

Happy Travels!

Heather Morgan
    UsingMiles.com
    Customer Experience Pilot

The World's First Search Engine for Award Travel [TM]
    http://www.usingmiles.com

Join the frequent flyer conversation:
    http://www.facebook.com/usingmiles
    http://www.twitter.com/usingmiles

10. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    Hi Tom,
    Unfortunately we were not able to replicate your issues with AA or UA. Our engineers tested it on multiple browsers and returned the correct number of available award seats for each airline. Would you mind sending me your email at k.paul (at) usingmiles (dot) com so we can work with you to solve your problem? We want to make sure everything is working correctly for you. Thanks so much. Talk to you soon.
    - Krista

11. UsingMiles

Status Points:
  12. Tom1024
    Original Member

Tom1024 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you do a flight search, it doesn't show any AA flights under the left side "cash" listings. How can you tell if using cash or miles is the better value if you don't know how much the AA flights cost?

I did ORD-HNL for specific r/t dates and it said ~25 award flights were available on AA. I'm not sure if that's even possible given AA's ORD-HNL schedule, especially for flights in March, less then a month from now. Are you just looking at the published schedule and assuming they all have "anytime" award availability instead of actually knowing which flights actually have award availability?

13. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Registration error message:

14. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am getting the same error message with AA, CO and DL. Hold tight, there is a connection issue with American Airlines AAdvantage etc.

How do you ask it to search for first class or business flights?

This is a VERY interesting concept. Done right, this would put AwardWallet and KVS out of business overnight. I see an interesting mix of styles and technolgies here... the flight search looks like bing.com/travel, adding accounts looks very similar to mint.com. It's getting my account balances right, if it can do proper award searches, including biz and first, then this is a ground breaking product

15. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Sweet! My AS miles are worth $1 each. How do I cash out?

16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really says that?

17. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    Hi MarkUK - We were just launching a new release today around the time you were trying to register. Our apologies as we experienced about 10 minutes of connection issues then. Could you email us at support@usingmiles.com if you are still encountering any issues?

Much obliged,
    Your friends at UsingMiles.com

18. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL

I wonder where it gets it's ratios from? Personally I'd like to be able to edit them. It values my AA miles at 1.5 cpm and SPG at 2.3 cpm. Personally I value both around 2 cpm.

19. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes. It shows my 150k or so AS miles are worth $1 each. I was rather surprised when I saw the total value of all my miles, but then noticed that most of that is due to the AS miles.

How about this for a new thread: "Get 25k AS miles, worth $25,000, when approved for BofA credit card.

Hmmm, I can't figure out how to post an image of this. When I try pasting it into my post, it just shows "[​IMG]".

20. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    Hello ma91pmh - Thanks for checking out UsingMiles.com! We are on an exciting path to launch many new features this year, that will help solve the mystery of booking travel with frequent flier miles, hotel points and credit card rewards. As we gain more "official" partnerships with air, hotel, car, train and credit card companies, we will be able to offer more detailed search results. We're in the midst of promising discussions with some of the top airlines and hotel chains, so please keep checking back.

On the "Hold tight..." connection error you encountered, we did push out a small release today around the same time. Could you please email us at support@usingmiles.com if you continue to see any issues there?

Much obliged,
    Heather Morgan
    UsingMiles.com

The World's First Search Engine for Award Travel [TM]

Join the frequent flyer conversation:
    http://www.facebook.com/usingmiles
    http://www.twitter.com/usingmiles

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe ask your engineers to check their server logs? One would hope they logged useful information for debugging when sending the message "Hold tight, there is a connection issue with American Airlines AAdvantage" to the user's browser.

22. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    Hi all - Thanks for commenting on UsingMiles.com's recommendation engine and point/mile valuations. What you are seeing for AS does not seem right and we are looking into that. Sure, it would be AWESOME to have 25K bonus miles if they were worth $25,000. If you find that offer, pass it onto us! :)

Here is how our recommendation engine works:
    Our formula: (value of a mile x # miles needed for an award seat) vs. (lowest cash fare). Using proprietary software, we analyze dozens of factors (including average redemption values, seat availability, and even tax filings) to accurately estimate the value of frequent flier miles within each program. We then compare the lowest cash fare with the cost of the actual miles it takes to redeem an award seat. We always recommend the option which is most cost effective, giving you the best use of your hard earned miles.

23. UsingMiles

Status Points:
    Fireball, I think you'll now see on the live UsingMiles.com site that your AS miles are now worth substantially less. Sorry, and big thank you to sobore for pointing this out. Could you please check your UsingMiles.com Loyalty Dashboard again and let us know if the values look as expected on your end?

Much obliged,
    Heather Morgan

24. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Talk about mile devaluation. My AS miles went from being worth $150k to being worth just $2k. That would make DL proud.

cr34102 likes this.
  25. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a cool site, I haven't been able to do much with it quite yet, but I do like it.

Why does my meager 3216 BA miles say value of 0.00? Is that correct, all my other air programs have a dollar value except that one.