Using your hands when talking on the phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gobluetwo, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just on a call with a colleague in Amsterdam and, when saying goodbye and hanging up, realized that I actually waved at the phone for some reason. Must have been reflex or something. :) Have you ever done that? I also catch myself using my hands when explaining something over the phone, which is obviously pointless to the person on the other end.

My kids also did this when they were 2-ish years old, trying to show pictures or things to whomever was on the other end of the phone. Of course, I don't have the excuse of being a toddler!

misman likes this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe people who usually talk with their hands do so whether they are on the phone or in person. I often notice when I am in the office on the land line I will place the receiver on my should and talk with my hands. I think it helps the person doing the talking get their point across more than is helps the listener.

misman likes this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a hand-talker when on the phone. As I work from home, the Mrs. always laughs when she sees me talking on a head-set call as she only get's one side of the conversation... but sees the full animation.

4. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do it all the time. My friends seem to understand exactly what I'm saying or describing that way :D.