Using USAirways Dividend Miles to Book One World Awards

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Newscience, Apr 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using USAirways Dividend Miles to Book One World Awwards

The first posting in a now 3-year-old Milepoint string is entitled "Using USAirways Dividend Miles to Book Star Alliance Awards": http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...idend-miles-to-book-star-alliance-awards.537/

Although with the ongoing US/AA merger, it's still a work in progress, perhaps it's now time to have a string on Milepoint to consider how to use USAirways miles to book One World alliance awards. I'm particularly interested in learning how to use USAirways award miles to accomplish One World alliance travel where the USAirways awards website (and the AA awards website) don't show a way to accomplish such travel, while there are certainly One World alliance partners that would enable such travel.

Travel to/through Europe is one such example. The Star Alliance connections to/within Europe are mostly seen on the United Airlines website. Not so for USAirways and American Airlines.

Any thoughts and advice on how to fill this gap and use USAirways miles?

MX likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You still have to call in to make the bookings.

Depending on the partner you are looking to book searches via the BA, QF or JL websites are likely your best options.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the posting, Wandering Aramean! Yes, these (BA, JL, QF) are certainly the "Big 3" of the OW alliance. Other OW partner airlines may also offer some good alternative routing for some destinations. Towards this purpose, I can relate the problems that a colleague recently had in travelling through Europe on OW partner airline Air Berlin, but that may have been one-off. My recent experience on SA partner airline Brussels Airlines leads me to recommend this carrier to all.

It is certainly understandable that the USAirways flight search website would not be connected to OW partner airline flights. But what excuse is there for American Airlines, a OW founding member airline, to not show at least some of their connecting partner airline flights available when a flight search is conducted?

Newscience

MX likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA award search engine does include a number of partner airlines. Here's the current list. If you're looking for awards to Europe, you'll notice that IB is not on that list. To search for IB award availability, it's probably the easiest to look on the QF website. Of course to book awards with Divident Miles, you would still need to call US Air, and pay their hefty phone fee.

Wandering Aramean and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA may claim that their search engine includes all of their OW partners' flights, but I don't think that it does. I just checked AA flights on future dates from IAD to KBP, and none appeared. On the BA website, there are flights from LHR to KBP, and you can certainly get to LHR from IAD.

FWIW, the UA flight search engine is not perfect, and does omit partner airline flights, but I think that the UA flight search engine is considerably better than AA's flight search engine. And, as you and WA note, the US search engine is pretty worthless when it comes to any other OW partners besides AA. :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    MX likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was suggesting using their sites for the searches as they have the most partners online. It is not about using them necessarily as your travel airlines.

Newscience likes this.
  7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that we can't rely on their online search engine to show all availability. It's only for getting itinerary ideas, so you can make more informed requests to a phone agent.

Newscience likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If flying to Japan from the US can you route via HKG?

Newscience likes this.
  9. ahagc

ahagc Active Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else had trouble using Dividend Miles to book on Iberia? I booked a flight for my father in January (ORD-MAD-TLV) on Iberia with a return (TLV-AMM-ORD) on Royal Jordanian. Even after it is ticketed and confirmed, about 48 hours later the outbound (Iberia) flights disappear from the reservation. I've called US Airways and Iberia multiple times and no one can seem to figure out what happens. The US Airways agent can see availability and can reissue the ticket, but then again about 48 hours later, it's gone again. We've reissued the ticket multiple times, but it just doesn't stay. Does anyone know of a way to get the reservation to stick? Thanks in advance!

Newscience likes this.
  10. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had trouble booking awards on american with US AIR miles! It shows available on the american website then I call to book and there's no seats available, not even at a higher redemption. 2 instances now that they have scummed me on award travel.

They used to match UA's award chart for availability with no issues when they were star alliance.

Newscience likes this.