using US miles for star alliance intl. award

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by steelgal32, Jun 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am the dingdong who has way too many miles yet always pays for my ticket. No time like the present to figure out how to use the miles before my first trip to Milan in September!

I need some help and advice. If I see an F ticket on United under the star alliance reward tab for 67,500 each way--can I then call US and book with them using 67,500 US miles? Or must I follow their award chart which is 100,000 miles each way?
    How do I do any stopovers if United won't let me book mulit-city awards?

I have read the blogs and posts about this yet I still seem murky and confused on the issue.

Also, if anyone can recommend a cool routing to get there, this is my big vacation for the year, so I am game for most anything...........

YULtide and savydog like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    US AIrways charges 125,000 miles roundtrip for US - Europe in first class.

United charges 135,000 miles roundrip for US - Europe in first class, or 67,500 one-way.

(US Airways does not offer one-way awards)

If the United website shows availability in first class US - Europe for 67,500 miles, then you can call up US Airways and you will be able to use those flights as part of your roundtrip ticket. US AIrways doesn't offer partner flights online, but if it's available on the United website at that mileage price you should be able to include it in a US AIrways award.

Note (1) US Airways is 125,000 roundtrip, they don't offer one-way awards, and you use the mileage prciing fro US Airways' award chart -- the miles price United lists is irrelevant. (2) One exception to being able to use the flights you see on the United website at the 'saver' level is Lufthansa FIrst Class. US Airways has been having a hard time 'seeing' Lufthansa first class transatlantic flights which are available for award redemption. So if it's Lufthansa for the overwater flights that you're looking at, you may not be successful when calling US Airways.

Does that help?

Best,
    Gary

Counsellor and savydog like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, you also asked about stopovers.

You're using US AIrways miles, you will call up US Airways and tell them the flights you want. You are allowed one stopover OR an open jaw (fly into one city, back from another).

Since it's US AIrways miles you can't do it online, just tell the agent what you want. And if you have problems on the first call, hang up call back.

savydog likes this.
  4. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the quick reply. right now for my dates, the ticket comes up 200,000 on US, which it is for 9/13-9/20, yet on the UA website under *A awardsit is 135,000 miles, so then if I want to use my US miles, then it will cost me 65,000 more miles?
    i see the award chart says 125,000 miles, so why when I pull these dates, is it 200,000 miles?

YULtide and savydog like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You're going to the US Airways website and getting a price of 200,000 miles right?

That's because the US AIrways website searches only US AIrways flights. It does not check partner flights.

You have to call US Airways. GIve them the flights you see on the United website. As long as it's not Lufthansa for transatlantic first class, US Airways should be able to give you the itinerary you see on the United website for 135,000 miles roundtrip at a price of 125,000 US AIrways miles.

savydog likes this.
  6. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    gosh, i think i finally get it! much thanks for your patience. it is awfully confusing starting at the bottom....

call.... i get it now!!!

YULtide, savydog and gleff like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you have trouble after a phone call, swing back here and tell us your travel dates and where you fly from :)

8. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i just re-read your post in the US forum over and over and over.....can each segment be a mini-trip of less than 24 hours? in example, if i wanted to fly ORD-CDG-BRU-MXP (DESTINATION) and then FCO-ORD this would be allowed and I would get to see paris and brussels for less than 24 hours?

YULtide likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yep. Occasionally agents will give you a hard time but the rules do allow it, hang up call back if any problems.

Counsellor, Jliu and Freddie Listo like this.
  10. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    good on you for helping her out here, gleff

11. junyang

junyang Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you'd like, post your dates and number of tickets. I can do a simple search for *A award availability for you! (So you're not limited only to LH or UA.... )

12. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Again, much thanks for reply......

My dates are sep. 13 leave ORD return sep. 20. (dates flexible-not earlier than 13th though) Would like to arrive in MXP and depart FCO. 2 tickets. Looking for the best first class experience I can have as this will be my first time in first.

When building segments into the flight, I would need to check award space on each of the segments. Is this correct?

YULtide likes this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct

14. junyang

junyang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, you would need award space on each of the segments which is sometimes difficult to get. A simple search gets me, for example, the following itinerary. I have not been able to see any F space on LH (which would get you access to the FCT in FRA, for example). On Sep 13, one route you COULD possibly fly would be:

ORD-EWR (UA 638)
    EWR-ZRH (UA 978)
    ZRH-MXP (LX 1628)

15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think your best experience in International First would be if you flew Cathay Pacific (CX), but they're One World and you're looking at Star Alliance. So . . .

How about Singapore or Thai? I don't have the time right now, but could we figure out a routing for steelgal32 using either of them?

(Probably wouldn't get you to Malpensa, though -- how about somewhere in the Pacific?)

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, not really if she is looking for flying from US - Italy. If she wants to go to Asia . . . ;)

Counsellor and JohnDeere19 like this.
  17. junyang

junyang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, availability is not really on her side. There are a few seats on LH from the US to FRA but they are in C and not F..

Counsellor likes this.
  18. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks everyone....this is why i always end up buying my ticket... patience and pre-planning are not my strongest character traits!

YULtide likes this.
  19. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    She might as well go to Asia - it's cheaper on the award chart than Europe with US Airways! Let us know what you end up finding!

Counsellor likes this.
  20. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    She could look for SQ JFK-FRA if it opens up closer to departure.

MyMiles&Points likes this.