Using US Airways Miles to Book on Asiana

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by murakami, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am about to take advantage of the US Airways 100% bonus transfer with the intention of redeeming for a flight on Asiana. I expect that we will be able to book near the end of November for travel in September 2013, with somewhat specific dates.

My questions - has anyone had experiences, good or bad, that they could share on booking Asiana using US Air or other Star Alliance miles?

Is 10 months generally enough advance booking to eliminate availability risk, even if we are locked into 3 or 4 specific departure (with corresponding return) dates?

Thanks for any help. This will be my first international & alliance award booking and I want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible!

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked a trip with Asiana without issue for my girlfriend and her sister. They loved the flight and the service.

Take a look at the dates you want and see if you see them available using the ANA search, Air Canada or United. other tools like KVS are helpful. If you see them available, you can call US Airways to see if they see availability. They can hold your reservation for 3 days while you get miles into your account.

I would highly recommend holding the reservation to avoid any inventory changes from the time you pay for the transfer and the time you make your reservation.

murakami likes this.
  3. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip - you actually might have ended up saving us 10 hours of travel time. United has non-stops available, so I will also book my ticket with miles instead of the initial plan of using ThankYou points for Asiana.