Using URs for Disney ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by kadence, Apr 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    A week ago I had no travel plans and couldn't redeem my Hilton points before The Great Deval. A $168 RT fare to JAX popped up so we decided to visit Grandma
    Since I have tons of other expenses this month I don't want a big cash outlay and started looking at booking hotel rooms through UR. I was surprised to find Disney hotels on the list but am wondering what other people think about using the rewards that way.
    Yesterday it was about 65,000 pts for 3 nights in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I priced the hotel on the Disney website and total was $1,185, or $0.018 cents per point. I know it's not the greatest value, but I won't have to pay cash, or use credit.
    Today I see the price at 75,000 points, has anyone else seen that happen?

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't want a big cash outlay, and you're thinking of Disney? :confused:

I've never tried using UR for Disney, but if you're feeling frugal, it seems that there are cheaper options in the Orlando area than Disney properties whether you're burning cash or UR points.

My usual suggestion: priceline. I've gotten resort-category hotels in LBV for as little as $95. The 4.5*/resort category has disappeared from the Downtown Disney/LBV zone, so something's odd. Maybe priceline has recategorized hotels?

Or consider staying further afield: MCO and International Drive Seaworld hotels can be cheaper than LBV. Olotels.com got me the Seaworld Doubletree for $70 in February. I got an HGI at MCO on Priceline for $55.

Or look for other ways to use UR for non-Disney properties. Example: the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. It's 18k HGP points per night. It's a gorgeous property. You'll wind up paying for parking and perhaps parking at Disney - they have a shuttle, but it's not very frequent. There's also a resort fee, but I think it's waived on award stays. The Costco rate tonight is $179, so that may not a great $/point redemption value, but it burns fewer UR points. The Hyatt Place MCO is 8k points or $125.

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:

If you redeem 65000 UR for cash you get $650. Sure that can get you 3 nights at many decent properties! Are they really worth 65000 UR?

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many people are going? Current room discounts for annual pass holders is about 30%. If you buy one annual pass to get the lower room rate will that pay off for you? (Probably won't unless you plan to return within the year but just throwing it out there as an option. Keep in mind you have to pay quite a bit for admission tickets anyhow so you'd deduct than from the cost of the annual pass.)

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    Traveltoomuch - We decided against Disney... too far to drive for only 2 full days and way too $$$. Park tickets are ridiculous.

Now trying to decide Destin, Panama City, St. Augustine or Amelia Island for 3 nights. Its hard to find chain hotels right on the beach in the smaller resort towns (tyring to use Hilton or Marriott points).

Bigx()- since we live in NJ an annual pass probably isn't worth it

Thank you all for the help and advice.