Using United Miles to Upgrade on Singapore Airlines

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by OzMan, Feb 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. OzMan

OzMan Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been trying for the past month or so, without success, to upgrade a B fare FCO-SIN on Singapore Airlines in July. I realize that such upgrades are hard to come by so I'm looking for some advice about improving my chances. If I have no chance please let me know.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upgrades come from the same inventory bucket as partner awards in the business class cabin. SQ has very tight limits on that inventory in general and even tighter for partners. If you can find the award space then you can upgrade in to it but, sadly, the odds of that happening are quite low on SQ metal. Some routes are better than others but I don't know the FCO-SIN route enough to know if it ever opens up or not.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  3. OzMan

OzMan Active Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks for your response. I'll lower my expectations accordingly.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In reality, the only routes you may have any success with SQ are the intra-Asia routes. Some of those routes do have the "new" business class.;

Of course, I realize you are interested in FCO route and not the intra-Asia ones!

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been my experience, which has primarily been in redeeming miles for I or O fares for intra-Asia travel on SQ and have generally had a fairly easy time of it...I suspect that this would also be true for paid tickets.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They release some I inventory on the Oz routes, too; I've seen it from time to time. But, like many things, YMMV.

7. odnagdivamerike

odnagdivamerike New Member

Status Points:
    I also wonder what would be my chances of upgrading a B fare on Moscow to Singapore route RT on SQ. I haven't bought a ticket yet and wonder if it makes sense to shell out more for B fare with a slim chance of getting an upgrade with United MP. When I login into SQ mileage program (just have an empty account) and try to search for award availability (business class) , I get only full price of 600,000 Krisflyer miles RT (crazy!). For saver awards, I get "waitlist". Should this basically indicate to me that I will be out of luck trying to get an upgrade? I have Gold Star Alliance status, but don't know if this is going to matter in this case. Would appreciate some advice!

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    See WA's post above. I wouldn't waste money on a B fare.