Using Ultimate Rewards Portal with other credit cards

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by crimson, Feb 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. crimson

crimson Active Member

Status Points:
    From reading blogs, they say you can double dip by buying gift cards in the Ultimate Rewards Portal with your an Ink card, then use the bought gift card to go back into the same portal to redeem more UR points with another purchase.

Will I gain UR points if I use a non-chase credit card (ex: AMEX Platinum) if I go through the portal?

Thanks in advance!

2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done it twice and only been successful once. I find the UR shopping portal very frustrating. I currently have 4 transactions missing and if you do not use a Chase card they will not help you. Even if you use a chase card they say wait up to eight weeks. This is getting old.

3. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's really disappointing to hear. I use the UR portal all the time (at least two dozen purchases since I got my CSP) and have had no trouble (as opposed to what must have been about a 50% success rate using the old AMEX portal). I would probably give up with four failures. I'm sorry...that stinks.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using milepoint

boondr likes this.
  4. Purewater

Purewater Active Member

Status Points:
    The double-dip you're describing only works on a select few retailers. See Frequent Miler's lab for test results. You can use a non-Chase card and get UR points but if your points go missing, they won't help you unless you used a Chase card to make the purchase.

5. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had this question also after hearing some folks write of missing transactions. I haven't been brave enough to make a UR purchase without using a chase card!

6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make a small purchase to see. Drugstore.com has lots of useful things you can buy.

mapenn likes this.
  7. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it a specific merchant?

I have yet to have one issue with the portal, regardless of card used. I've even received credit for times I didn't use the portal but used a chase card.

8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    3 of the 4 were Groupon. But I think the rep from Chase helped me figure out my problem. I was not hitting the portal button on the left side of the page. I was using the drop down menu. That is nuts that can make such a difference. Still don't know if I will get the Groupon points.

9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have no idea why this is relevant to the OP.

10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't. It smells like phish.

11. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Disappeared; a mod must have gone phishing.

12. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering that too. :)

13. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am confused by the original post. Is this what you are saying. Go to UR, link to nordstroms. Buy a $20 Nordstroms gift card (earn bonus points and 20 points for the dollar value of purchase). Then you go back to UR, link to nordstroms and make a purchase using the $20 gift card and what - do you earn another round of bonus points?
    sorry if this is a dumb question.

boondr likes this.
  14. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Specifically the OP was asking if they could get UR points using a non Chase card to which the answer is quite possibly but it is not a guarantee. Your question about double dipping, I assume using a Chase card, is can you get additional points for using a gift card through the portal. That answer is it depends on the store. The blogger Frequent Miler has a Laboratory page with a spread sheet of lots of helpful info.

profpeabody, paladinua and boondr like this.
  15. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:

I've used non-Chase cards with no problem. In some cases, have used Home Improvement Cards (before the hype), with no problem... But, have to be diligent.