Using Uber while abroad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Efilon87, Sep 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling to Manila this week. Has anyone used Uber while abroad? If so, how does it work with an US cell phone (I would dislike very much to get charged for data roaming). I have already contacted Sprint for texts/calls when I'm abroad, and obviously my data roaming will remain off during my trip. Suggestions? Thanks!!

~Efilon87

2. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've tried using Uber (Black, X, and XL) in China. I was using it with a local number though.
    In term of experience, it should be fairly consistent: water, Wi-Fi (for the most part), and charging device.

For China, the drivers (even UberX) work for a company that contracts with Uber.

3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you have to go through the Uber app or was there another way to hire a ride?

4. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, just use the Uber app. I think that's the only way for you to get Uber. You will need to enter your phone number for verification via text. And then you are all set.

Although theoretically, it should still work without a working/local phone number. In this case, you might be using Wi-Fi in your hotel, and when the driver is arriving, the app will notify you.

The only downside for this is if your driver is lost, or if you felt the wait time was longer than expected, you won't be able to reach him/her. Since traffic in China can be bad, the ETA on the app is almost always shorter than the actual wait time. For the first few rides I had in China, I have received calls from the driver to explain that.

5. greendx

greendx Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having used uber in a few countries I wouldn't recommend using it without having data/phone with intl roaming (i.e. don't order a car via wifi and wait for it without connectivity). The reason is that I've had drivers call me when they can't find me, cancel after I've booked them, etc. Issues that would be difficult/impossible to deal with without connectivity.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With Uber, drivers have to provide their own insurance. In the US, personal auto insurance does not cover for commercial activity, so it's a case by case situation as to whether you are covered when in a car. In other countries insurance rules and coverage can vary greatly, something to keep in mind.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the spirit of that, as the Uber driver in Cape Town started waiting for me in the wrong place (next door, half a block down). Still, with Wi-Fi, you can see where the driver is, and you'll still get alerted via the app upon the driver's arrival.

Side note: Cape Town has Uber Chopper....was tempted to get that with the lousy CT traffic.

theBOAT likes this.