USing UA SWU on LH

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by excelsior, Apr 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine wants to give me a United Systwemwide Upgrade for use on LH This is a piece of paper which she says she will mail me and I can use just like that to upgrade my travel on LH

Question for experts:

(1) SHe will put my name on this SWU and i can use it at the airport just like that? Without her being present? Will she not at least have to call UA to tell Lh or put my M&M number on the SWU or my passport number or something?

2. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can use a paper SWU "just like that." LH might call UA to confirm that it's legit if it doesn't have your name on it, but otherwise, as long as it's not bartered/sold, there should be no issue.

As far as whether you'll get the upgrade, now that's a different story :)

3. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    WHy would I have dificulty getting it if there are empty seats?

4. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    depends on the class of ticket on LH as certain 'deep-discount' fares are not upgradable using a UA SWU on LH, also depends on if the empty seats remain till you ask for the upgrade and the upgrade list (and all fun priority/timing stuff along with that) as it will be processed at the gate and not beforehand.

Although not needed, but if your friend and you are at the same airport, go to a UA counter and have them 'sign over' the upgrade to you, so LH doesnt have to call them to verify.

excelsior likes this.
  5. rcs
    Original Member

rcs Active Member

Status Points:
    To clarify that:
    Minimum fare in Economy to use a UA SWU is V class and above.
    From Business to First, you can use it on J/C/D and even Z.

excelsior likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That presumes you're upgrading a flight sold on a United ticket (i.e., a UA code-share operated by LH).

If you want to upgrade an LH flight on LH metal with a United paper SWU, you have to figure the fare classes used by LH. Tickets in LH booking codes X, I, R, N, W, S and E cannot be upgraded with the UA paper SWU.

More details can be found here.

excelsior likes this.
  7. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand these things can be bought on ebay> is ti reliable? I would be a very good customer?

8. rcs
    Original Member

rcs Active Member

Status Points:
    For quite some time now, all SWU-upgradeable classes on UA/LH coded transatlantic flights are 100% identical. If travelling on a codeshare, the booking classes map to the very same booking class between UA/LH.

Also, the details referenced on the UA website are out of date and do not reflect the actual upgrade policy that LH is applying. Fares booked in U or L class (long-haul) are not upgradeable using a UA SWU; irrespective of what it says on the paper, you will have the upgrade rejected at the airport.

The information posted above (minimum fare in Economy to use a UA SWU is V class and above.
    From Business to First, you can use it on J/C/D and even Z) is the only formula that works if you're using a UA SWU printed for use on LH.

Rambuster likes this.
  9. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's exactly as rcs stated. V class is the first SWU'able fare bucket - regardless of what UA tell people.

10. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crap. I didn't read the fine print a while back... my gf and I are flying back FRA-SFO on LH at the end of next month... We're in W fares, and I have two LH paper SWUs in my bag. DARNIT. I should have done my research... any chance they'll still take it if there are open seats?

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    YMMV however unfortunately I would say "No".

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even that list is out dated. L is now an unacceptable booking class for upgrading with these certs, and it looks like K will join it next year when they expire at the end of January. LH's realignment of some fare classes in July has caused some concern about how fares map between codeshares now. K used to be a mid-discount fare on both carriers, now is the lowest on LH.

13. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Counsellor likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Counsellor likes this.
  15. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wishful thinking I guess lol.

16. Greanjeans

Greanjeans Silver Member

Status Points:
    i still have 2 SWU's expiring 31jan that i wasnt going to use anymore...

however I am booked on a quick trip to singapore: AMS FRA SIN LH- in K class on the 20th.

New rules state: K class is no longer valid, however on my 2 swu's it states that K class is valid
    anyone got any experience if LH would still accept ?

17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will depend upon the station supervisor whether they will honour the old UA SWUs on a K fare. My experience last week and yesterday demonstrated this. At ORD I made the request at the LH counter by the boarding gate. Agent was insistent that the change meant I could not upgrade on my K fare (purchased back in the summer before that fare was downgraded) for the ORD-FRA flight. He told me he would check with his supervisor and I should go down to the lounge and check back when boarding started. Did so, and returned to a total rejection and insistence that even though cert did not exclude the K fare, it did have the wording "subject to change without notice". Said they blocked the seat between me and the other person in our bank of three. (I also gave him my new temporary M&M account number so I would get some mileage, since CO finally made the change on the OP site a few days earlier.)

On my return yesterday, IST-MUC and MUC-LAX, I decided to try again. The check-in agent at IST consulted his LH supervisor and they agreed to process the upgrade and I was given 2C on that flight. No issue raised by either person other than insisting I had to credit my miles to MP and could not have my M&M number on the segment. (Obviously unless it posts as a C flight to MP, I will not get any miles in MP so may have to send in the boarding pass and a note to M&M to get some mileage. Still hoping it will post as a normal C flight though.)

Having succeeded once, thought I would try my luck at MUC -- though being a major LH base figured the answer would be "no" -- so once I made it to the gate I asked one of the agents if I could upgrade and handed her my voucher, MP card and boarding pass. Two of them went to work on it and I could tell they recognized I was on a K fare. However, she also noted this was introduced only recently and without notice, so was sympathetic to my plight. (There were also about a dozen or more open C seats as I would discover upon boarding.) In the end, she agreed to over ride the system and upgrade me, mentioning it should be logged as an opup. Ended up with an empty seat next to me in one of the middle sections. While I was doing this, a TA was also asking if she could get an industry courtesy upgrade on her T fare. Agent said no, but I asked if they would do it for her using my remaining SWU. Agent and supervisor agreed and I passed it on to a grateful young woman.

So it really appears to be at the whim of the supervisor. Not normally flexible like this, the LH staffers I had in IST and MUC came through on my side. They appear to be more by the book on this side of the Atlantic.

Good luck. Will post if any of the miles show up in my accounts.

18. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a UA SWU upgrade voucher for LH ,

can I use it on code share flights? i.e. purchased from United, but operated by Lufthansa?

19. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably not: K moved from a mid tier economy to the one of the most cheap ones.
    I expect that will happen what Candadi>n wrote.

20. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The purchase or sale of United awards, including upgrade certificates, is strictly prohibited under the terms of the MileagePlus program, and UA DOES expend resources to identify and punish violators.