Using UA miles to upgrade on a US codeshare

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Blazer, Mar 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Blazer

Blazer New Member

Tried to use my UA miles to upgrade on a US Air codeshare flight from Charlotte to SFO. Grumply lady on the phone said I can't do that. When I asked what the Alliance partnership was about, she said something about it wasn't a full fare ticket. Ever hear of this? Went back and tried to find something on the website about this, but couldn't find anything other than a possible $25 copay.
    Did I miss something?
  2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Hi Blazer,
    Welcome to MilePoint. Unfortunately, the UA CSR (customer service rep) was correct. For Star Alliance upgrades, only full fare (Y or B) economy tickets are eligible for upgrades. The relevant page is here:

This means that alliance upgrade benefits are rather unhelpful for most travelers.
  3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Here the issue (unfortunately) is not the marketing carrier, but the operating carrier. Remember this saying, "It is all about the metal". When using miles to upgrade another carrier's operated flight even if coded and ticketed as your home carrier (assuming United), the rules for upgrades are not on that carrier but on that "alliance" (sans certain exceptions United and Copa, etc).