Using Transferrable Points Currencies To Pay For Flights

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

I've explained many times in the past how you're best off accruing transferrable points currencies. They give you a lot more flexibility than "fixed" points currencies, as you can transfer them to any of a number of airline or hotel transfer partners. The benefit is that you're basically hedged against devaluations. If you collect points in a specific mileage program and they're devalued, the value of your miles could decrease significantly overnight. However, with transferrable points currencies you aren't really tied down to one transfer partner, so you're more protected in the event of devaluations. But flexible points currencies don't just have airline and hotel transfer partners, but in many cases you can redeem the points directly towards the cost of a paid airline ticket on any airline. With that in mind, I figured I'd compare the rates at which you can redeem points with the three "big" bank-issued transferrable points currencies -- American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Citi ThankYou Rewards. The post Using Transferrable Points Currencies To Pay For Flights appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...